MSLA online course at Barista Hustle

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
emradguy

Postby emradguy » Jul 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

MSLA = Milk Science & Latte Art

Is anyone else taking this course? I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed here yet (or maybe I've missed it?).

I'm at the 50% mark in the course and have learned so very much despite having taken a full day barista training course with Heather Perry at Klatch, having read the milk steaming guide on CoffeeGeek several times, having taken two 2-hour private lessons on latte art from SCA technical judge John Letoto and having participated in innumerable discussions on the CG and HB forums.

Mggray87

Postby Mggray87 » Aug 09, 2018, 9:08 am

how is it? worth it??

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Aug 09, 2018, 10:08 am

I was considering doing it, I imagine there's going to be a ton of stuff for me to learn in there considering all I know is cobbled together from here and YouTube (and still haven't gotten incredible results).

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Aug 11, 2018, 5:06 pm

Mggray87 wrote:how is it? worth it??

Personally, I do think it's worth it. But you need to decide what you want from it. There's a lot of science in it that you might enjoy learning, but isn't going to help you pour better art. I've been a bit stuck on the training, as I've had to pause the course due to time constraints, and I'm just at the point where they're showing things you need to practice at home. That said, I already understand what I'm doing wrong (at least part of it) with the design I'm trying to improve upon, and where I want to take it next. I'm sure I'll have more to say after I finish the course.

Mggray87

Postby Mggray87 » Aug 11, 2018, 5:07 pm

Ya I cant figure out how to do art. I've tried. YouTube makes it look so easy. I tried and tried. For the basics.

Bret

Postby Bret » Aug 11, 2018, 5:31 pm

For me, the biggest issue was consistently getting good foam. This video (first posted elsewhere on HB) solved that problem for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fC7nlLbvOs

That, plus another source I can't recall mentioning to stretch until the milk gets to approximately body temperature, and another source about not exceeding 155 F overall (proteins start to break down or modify, or something like that, affecting the taste and possibly the texture). I never liked the 'steam until the pitcher gets too hot to the touch' approach.

So I use a Decent thermometer with the alarm set to 143F, and the milk gets to 148-150F in the interval when shutting off the steam. Tastes great, no burn risk when drinking.

IPW20X

Postby IPW20X » Aug 11, 2018, 9:08 pm

I'm taking the Barista Hustle Advanced Coffee class online now. I think it is very well done. Planning to do the Milk Science and Latte Art next.