More Tamper Minutia - store on the cup warmer? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
EricL (original poster)

#11: Post by EricL (original poster) »

I think it's just like a sweatshirt out of the dryer. Happiness is a warm tamper.

Plus Silvia is like an old Volvo. They just keep going. Not going to let a few coffee grounds get in the way.

LeoZ

#12: Post by LeoZ »

even if the beans came out of the grinder at 100+degF, they are so small and light, they would to room temp almost immediately.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Exactly! Imagine how "shocked" these already traumatized grounds will be by that sudden chill! :lol:
Dan Kehn

EricL (original poster)

#14: Post by EricL (original poster) »

Who knows, those little grounds could experience a 'shrinkage factor'. Keep them warm and you have big manly grounds, ready to give up their soluble compounds to the first drop of hot water that comes along.

zin1953

#15: Post by zin1953 »

portamento wrote:When will someone start touting the health benefits of magnetic tampers?
I'm having one made from a quartz crystal . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

EricL (original poster)

#16: Post by EricL (original poster) »

Now there's a way to supplement your income during the recession. Marketing tibetan wonder crystal tamper handles. Guaranteed to relieve wrist pain from over tamping. Now you just have to put together the infomercial. Maybe Vince from 'Sham-Wow!' is available.

Lockman

#17: Post by Lockman »

EricL wrote:Who knows, those little grounds could experience a 'shrinkage factor'. Keep them warm and you have big manly grounds, ready to give up their soluble compounds to the first drop of hot water that comes along.
This sounds a bit XXX rated to me. Kinda like swimming in a cold creek vs sitting on a radiator before the girlfriend comes over... :mrgreen:
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Michal

#18: Post by Michal »

Would you like to test that for us? :lol:

I would guess it wouldn't make that much of a difference because cup warmers get to be around 130 and your room is around 75 and the grinder heats the beans up some as well. But I wouldn't be willing to bet on it.

Lockman

#19: Post by Lockman »

How about having your very own "tamp" girl? Or a robot? Or a "tamp" girl robot with a built in "cup" warmer? Why stop there?

Wait, wait, I got it. Voodoo tampers! Chicken head top, tempered in blood. Rumored at giving abilities to pick winning stocks in volatile times! $500 each. Gold ferrel $900 each. First return trip to witch doctor for blessings free. Also rumored to excite the opposite sex increase crema delivery! :wink:
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

Bluecold

#20: Post by Bluecold »

Who here has ever tamped with a wet tamper?
I have, this morning (spilled a bit when refilling the La Peppina). It channeled badly (no naked pf, but the flow was much faster and it didn't taste as nice). Storing the tamper on the cupwarmer keeps it dry.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."