A modern Tamper

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Hooah

#1: Post by Hooah »

Hi all,

I found this tamper today and it caught my eye here in Germany. I think I will order it tomorrow and then do an in depth review if there is any interest. I know there have been plenty of in depth discussions about tamping but sometimes when you see something you don't really need, you buy it anyway. I think this is one of those times for me :mrgreen:

Any thoughts or discussion points?
Dan

arcus

#2: Post by arcus »

Yes, I noticed this disco tamper on kaffee-netz. It looks very cool and I love their video. I'd be more interested in this if it also had auto-leveling like the cleverly designed Levtamp.

Advertisement
mike guy

#3: Post by mike guy »

Solution for a problem that doesn't exist in my mind. Weight based tamping has been shown over and over again that it doesn't matter. Tamp level and puck distribution matters.

arcus

#4: Post by arcus replying to mike guy »

Yes, I think that's why their website is espressotoys. It's just another cool toy.

Jared

#5: Post by Jared »

Too many fancy tampers coming out lately. I think the best type that recently hit the market are the auto leveling tampers that guarantee a perfect tamp. I still struggle at times to get my tamp even so I may have to invest in one someday.

mjbelcher

#6: Post by mjbelcher »

It's a lovely 2 minute and 23 seconds of Kaffee "tone and mood" with a 15 second cameo of a wizard's tamper, lighted-up like a christmas decoration.

If anything, the final 1/3 of the video made me wish I had a Synesso Hydra. Boy that thing is sharp.
LMWDP #554

1yay1

#7: Post by 1yay1 »

ABX test with all these espressotoys would be interesting. I wonder if anyone could detect the "improvements" they all bring to the cup :lol:

Advertisement
ebola5114

#8: Post by ebola5114 »

Clearly a over-geekisized product, why the h*** design and lose time making a nonsense light sensor tamper when you could avoid any electronic parts and get a great product like we see this days (lectamp's style for example..)

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

It just looks like a fancy overpriced version of all the other tampers out there that claim to help you get the perfect tamp pressure, something that seems ever less important as all the other stuff gets figured out.

Ira

Hooah (original poster)

#10: Post by Hooah (original poster) »

People don't HAVE to pay thousands for a machine to get great espresso but, they do anyways. Some people spend little for a used inexpensive machine while others buy GS3 or a Slayer. Call it whatever you like, hobby, passion, addiction or just plain fun. I think most of you are missing the point of this particular tamper. It's a modern day toy, hence the manufacture's name....