Mocha Cappuccino - What's the Secret

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

I currently make a mocha cappuccino by extracting a double on top of a small spoon of cocoa powder. I then stir it together in the hot espresso, using a spoon, or sometimes a mini wire whisk. Finally, froth the milk and pour it into the chocolate/espresso mix. I'll either add raw sugar with the cocoa powder, or add simple syrup to the milk pitcher prior to frothing.

Problem: how to get all the cocoa powder completely dissolved without clumps?

I thought a syrup might get everything pre-dissolved, but I tried making chocolate syrup by dissolving sugar and cocoa into boiling water and it did not turn out so well (did not taste right).

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I make MCs every Sunday and struggled with the same problem. Here's my solution. Put the cocoa powder and any desired sugar into the cup along with a shot of milk. Foam this with your steam wand. The cocoa and sugar will instantly mix with the milk and the resultant can be foamed for extra body. Be sure to use your thermometer, as such a small volume of milk can overheat rapidly. Pull the espresso on top, where it will simply mix in on its own. Foam the remaining milk in your jug and add to the cup, floating the light foam on top in true cappuccino style. Voila! No lumps or residue in the bottom of the cup. No need to swirl near the end to keep the cocoa mixed in.

jpender

#3: Post by jpender »

Is that the same thing as a Marocchino or are they different?

Espresso_Junky

#4: Post by Espresso_Junky »

iploya wrote:I currently make a mocha cappuccino by extracting a double on top of a small spoon of cocoa powder. I then stir it together in the hot espresso, using a spoon, or sometimes a mini wire whisk. Finally, froth the milk and pour it into the chocolate/espresso mix. I'll either add raw sugar with the cocoa powder, or add simple syrup to the milk pitcher prior to frothing.

Problem: how to get all the cocoa powder completely dissolved without clumps?

I thought a syrup might get everything pre-dissolved, but I tried making chocolate syrup by dissolving sugar and cocoa into boiling water and it did not turn out so well (did not taste right).
If you continue to try different things that might not work for you why not try a quality sauce like those from Monin, Ghirardelli, etc?

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I use Ghirardelli chocolate syrup. Chocolate in cup, shot over the top. Stir before adding milk/foam.

iploya (original poster)

#6: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:Put the cocoa powder and any desired sugar into the cup along with a shot of milk. Foam this with your steam wand. The cocoa and sugar will instantly mix with the milk and the resultant can be foamed for extra body.
I will try this, thanks. And as a fallback I will look for the fancy syrups above (fancier than Hershey's I assume).

Almico

#7: Post by Almico replying to iploya »

jrham12

#8: Post by jrham12 »

Iploya,

My wife is a Starbucks cafe mocha junkie... However, the ones I make her at home are "just as good" according to her... Here's how I make hers:

Pre-heat a mug and put a couple tablespoons of chocolate sauce in it. (Monin is our favorite but Torani or Ghirardelli are also good).
Pull the shot and mix it into the chocolate
Froth the milk and add it in on top of the chocolate / espresso.
Top off with a couple spoonfuls of whipped cream.
Add a drizzle of the chocolate sauce if you want to get fancy!

I don't care for them at all; it's more like a hot chocolate with a faint hint of coffee, but that's the way she likes them...

Hope that helps!
josh

Brandon

#9: Post by Brandon »

I don't generally do mocha's for me, but my wife loves them. When I used to work at Starbucks we would pull the shot onto the thick syrups (mocha and white mocha) and swirl it while the shot pulled. It would always dissolve perfectly. That is still the technique that I use for making my wife's mochas. I generally prefer to use the sauces such as the ones mentioned above because I find that the powders can sometimes have a grainy texture.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by emradguy »

I don't make them often at all, but I prefer the Monin chocolate syrup. It's so simple, as stated earlier...dollop of chocolate in the cup, pull the shot, stir, add steamed milk. Sometimes I make a peppermint mocha by adding a few drops of peppermint extract to the espresso-chocolate mix before the milk. You can add in any flavor you want...perhaps some hazelnut simple syrup (Monin again by my book). If you want it iced, pour the espresso-chocolate mix over ice and then add the steamed milk to that. It's a great way to beat the Houston heat.
LMWDP #748