Minimal milk to foam for macchiatto?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CTurner

#1: Post by CTurner »

I'm curious what others find is the minimal amount of milk that can be foamed to help make a macchiatto:

1) How much milk, 2% or whole?
2) Does your steam tip have two or four holes?
3) Do you change your steaming technique in some way (closer to surface, etc)?
4) To me, a macchiatto is abut two teaspoons of foam on top of a double shot. Agreed?
5) I want the foam to be good: tight and even.

I'm just wanting to not waste milk in order to make the perfect macchiatto and wondering if it's possible with anything less than a usualy cappuccino amount.

pngboy

#2: Post by pngboy »

I don't think there is any one right way. I like whole milk better. I like my milk to be of a latte type consistency then I can get a little art with the macchiatto. I've used both 2 hole and 4 hole. I probably tilt the pitcher a bit more so i can get away with using less milk

James Mulryan

#3: Post by James Mulryan »

I hate wasting milk too. It seems inevitable. I even tried a 3 ounce creamer used by restaurants and had no control over the foam. I reverted back to a 12 ounce pitcher. The smaller the amount of milk to begin with, the more your steam bounces off the bottom of the pitcher creating bubbles. If I fill 1/3 of the way (absolute minimum for me) it is still 4 ounces, more than I need, and I don't want to let it sit when I do my second macchiato. It took me a really long time to learn how to place the tip into the milk to get the right amount of foam, and then lower it to integrate foam into the body of the milk. Using sound as an indicator is very helpful. I also use a thermoworks lolly pop thermometer to make sure my steam stops at 150F. Whole milk has a better mouth feel for me.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Check out this thread: No milk waste home macchiato
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

I have the benefit of a ball valve steam control so I can feather in just a little steam with practice and whip up 3oz of milk.
Dave Stephens

pngboy

#6: Post by pngboy »

I wish there was a really nice little 8oz pitcher just for macchiattos. My 12oz works good but I still waste a little milk which I hate doing with the good organic stuff.

new2espresso

#7: Post by new2espresso »

I go for about 5oz of 2%milk, but my dog gets whatever I don't use in my drink
Kind regards,
Karan

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

pngboy wrote:I wish there was a really nice little 8oz pitcher just for macchiattos. My 12oz works good but I still waste a little milk which I hate doing with the good organic stuff.
This is what I use most of time. Nice little 8oz pitcher, does 4/5 oz nicely.

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Motta- ... 6p7235.htm
Dave Stephens

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

When I have badly steamed (for latte art) a pitcher of milk, I just pour it back into the milk carton (after pouring out some fresh milk for the next attempt). I don't see why this wouldn't work for the macchiato: use the amount you need to get your desired amount of foam to spoon off the top, then pour the rest back into the cold carton of milk, back into the fridge.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Bret wrote:...use the amount you need to get your desired amount of foam to spoon off the top, then pour the rest back into the cold carton of milk, back into the fridge.
I drink only a few cappuccinos a month, so I'm not worried about "wasting" a couple ounces of milk for a better result. But since you raised the point, Mark's Milk Frothing Guide speaks to your suggestion:
CoffeeGeek wrote:Of great interest is that both proteins are stable up to approximately 140F after which they become susceptible to denaturation. The proteins no longer maintain their native shape or charge and will not behave in the same way to facilitate the creation of foam. New proteins are needed, more milk must be added. By adding fresh milk to already steamed milk you introduce new, unchanged proteins and can foam again.

The above is a complicated way of explaining where the old adage that you can "foam milk once and steam it twice" comes from. To foam milk a second time won't work because the proteins that facilitated the formation of the foam initially have become denatured. You can of course just reheat the milk a second time but even that is not recommended. Steam only as much milk as you need for a given drink. Start with cold fresh milk every time. Never resteam milk or add fresh milk to already steamed milk. It is considered poor form.

If you're in a shop, and paying $3 or $4 for that cappuccino or latte, ask, nay, demand they only use fresh, cold milk to make your beverage. You will notice a huge difference. If they challenge you, quote the above chapter and verse, or take your biz elsewhere. It's your hard earned money - why settle for denatured, reduced-charge milk!
Dan Kehn