Milk Frothing on the Quickmill Andreja Premium

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DJL

#1: Post by DJL »

I realize there are tons of posts related to learning/mastering frothing and latte art, I've read many and watched many videos, yet i'm not able to make decent micro foam with my new Andreja I use cold, 3% whole milk (lactose free), into a cold 350ml pitcher filled 1/3 to just under the spout(I keep my pitchers in the freezer). I purge then place the steam wand tip into the pitcher just below the milk on a slight angle, try to not move the pitcher, then get swirling going, then after about 10 secs lower the wand a tad. Once the pitcher is too hot to hold I stop the steam (this takes less than 20 seconds). Each time the milk does not allow me to create any art, it just pours out from the pitcher into the espresso cup, goes under the crema, but there is very little micro foam - most often none at all, just hot milk. I'm sure it's my technique, but wondering if it could be my machine? Any Andreja user chime on frothing with this machine...

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

It takes a long time to get this.. You'd think it would be something one could learn in a weekend.. Took me months and months and months.. and still I have hard time doing rosettas.

Milk good.. pitchers in freezer, good.. very unlikely machine..

Really best suggestion is to find someone who can steam milk and invite over for Pizza!..

But 10 seconds is too long to start introducing air.. The angle of the wand and the pitcher is important .. but start with the wand tip just below milk and you should get vortex within a second or two. Then lower pitcher every so slowly, and you'll hear the 'rips'.. but you need to be gentle.. you don't want constant air.. rip.. nothing.. rip.. nothing.. Your entire amount of air should be done in 10 seconds.. ideally less. Then lower tip JUST enough to stop air... don't sink it in the milk. Once milk is warm, if you haven't got enough air, the micro-foam is ruined..

Eventually you can look at the milk.. tap it.. swirl it and see how it shines and know if you have enough or not enough air in it. Since you are likely struggling with pouring technique as well, it is difficult to tell the quality/quantity of air in your milk. (That's where someone who can foam can troubleshoot quickly)

I used to practice by using water in the pitcher with 2-3 drops of dish-washing soap. You can actually foam that quite similar to milk and way cheaper.. You can practice getting the vortex quickly and introducing air quicker.. You won't get exact micro foam but you will get a pretty close approximation for the first 2/3 of your pitcher. You should get shiny, smooth.

I use 2% lactose-free milk and it works great. All my guests get that and they can't tell the difference from non-lactose milk.

Do some searches on angles of wand, jug and its position in jug.

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

I agree. Your issue has nothing to do with your machine and ALL to do with your technique. That said, it's harder to steam milk properly with the modern "no burn" wands. Many of us pull out the plastic tubing from inside the wand and install a heat shield (you can purchase for a couple $ from Espressoparts or construct one from Sugru). Others simply trim the tip of the tubing shorter, then reinstall the tip, preserving the "no burn" feature.

Anyhow, get the milk swirling as soon as possible, start introducing air for a few seconds (with the little whispers or paper tearing sound), than go slightly deeper to continue the vortex and texture. If you happen to get a big chug of air, instead of the quieter sounds, then you can go to texturing earlier. Stop when the pitcher begins to feel hot. There's absolutely no reason to torture yourself by waiting until it's "too hot to hold"...except if you plan to drink it later.

I know you've read a lot and watched a lot of videos, but have you seen the Sunergos one? if you use Instagram, check our Shinsaku Fukuyama. He's got tons of award winning pours. As you watch videos, you should be paying attention to distance of the spout from the espresso, distance of the spout from the cup wall, and how one holds the pitcher. If your milk is thin, you need to stay closer to the surface, and if it's thick, you need to be a little farther. Matt Perger (Barista Hustle) describes four different grip types for the pitcher. You might need to try a different one?
LMWDP #748

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

I recently sold that machine and it steams milk great but with the bigger no steam wand and moderate volume it is a bit tricky to get in a rhythm with it. I think I had the 2 hole tip on? I can't remember. I tried without the no burn function and didn't find it wasn't worth the performance to be cleaning the wand again...I also steam smaller amounts of milk. One thing to consider is your lactose modified milk may have different properties and so you may have to fiddle to get it right.

So I was taught from an old Italian video to listen to the sound and to start plunged into the milk midway and slowly lift. If it is too loud either sound breaking through on the top or a louder reverb of the bottom of the jug to make adjustments. Then when it starts spinning start bringing it up to the top. Oddly enough one of the barista/shop owners/trainers who I respect greatly for his attention to Levers has a totally different way and I've been trying his technique and it is easier with regular thickness milks but not as easy with half/half which is what I typically use.

He happened to have made a video about a year ago covering his technique in detail with explanations of why it is done. He can get microfoam with unattended pitchers in other videos too but I've not tried:
That being said there are actually many ways to do it and variables like nut milk where you want to start closer to the top or size of jug which will require all sorts of changes.