Milk frother suddenly gone crazy

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Eucalyptus

#1: Post by Eucalyptus »

Hi everyone,

Fairly new to this game so please go easy on me!

I've recently purchased a new ECM Casa V and been frothing milk beautifully since February.
I decided to clean the steamer by unscrewing it and plucked out a tiny bit of milk that was stuck there, screwed it back on and now my machine has gone haywire.

The milk frother spits out huge bubbles and throws the milk around rather than spinning it. My milk heats up within 5 seconds and is barely drinkable. :shock:

I have no idea what I've done wrong... I haven't changed any of my processes - milk volume is the same, milk frothing angle and technique is the same....the only thing was I cleaned it :(

Any help or suggestions please?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Some people plug some of the holes with toothpicks or change their tips to get better control, it sounds like when you unclogged the wand/tip you increased the flow and made it harder to control. You can either learn to steam with the unclogged tip or find a tip that's easier to work with.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

+1 what Chris said. However, I'm still puzzled about your post. I have an excellent steamer on my Synchronika (2-bar). It takes me about 15 seconds to froth/heat enough milk for two 6 ounce cappuccinos. In the first few seconds, I froth the milk to the desired volume; the rest of the time is taken with heating to 60-degrees C. On my previous machine, an HX with 1-bar steam, it took me well over 30-seconds. I don't understand how you can go from cold milk to overheated milk in 5 seconds. It makes me wonder if you had a clogged hole all along, which permitted you to steam small quantities of milk (IE, the toothpick idea). Then when you unclogged it, you ran into this problem.

myke2241

#4: Post by myke2241 »

Eucalyptus wrote:Hi everyone,

Fairly new to this game so please go easy on me!

I've recently purchased a new ECM Casa V and been frothing milk beautifully since February.
I decided to clean the steamer by unscrewing it and plucked out a tiny bit of milk that was stuck there, screwed it back on and now my machine has gone haywire.

The milk frother spits out huge bubbles and throws the milk around rather than spinning it. My milk heats up within 5 seconds and is barely drinkable. :shock:

I have no idea what I've done wrong... I haven't changed any of my processes - milk volume is the same, milk frothing angle and technique is the same....the only thing was I cleaned it :(

Any help or suggestions please?
I would suggest practicing with some water and soap. It really just takes time to get used to milk texturing.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bluenoser »

I sounds like you are steaming a small amount of milk.. The easiest amount of milk to steam is about 200ml or 200g. It will take more than 5 seconds.. There are lots of milk steaming videos, but it does take a long time to get the technique right. I used water and soap to learn. Make sure you first purge well for about 10-20 seconds.. this heats up the wand and will turn. Your element back on.. then turn off, sink the tip and turn fully on to get a good vortex.. Only then drop the pitcher slowly until you hear the air being sucked in. Water and soap shows this aeration better. Only bring in air for about 5 seconds.. plus or minus some time depending on the power of your steam.