Milk Freshness & Microfoam Strength

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sordomudo11

#1: Post by sordomudo11 »

Hi All,

Lately I've been experimenting with milk brands, production methods (non-homogenized vs. organic vs. ultra-pasteurized vs. regular) and other characteristics. I've found that several of the higher-quality brands--regardless of type--produce equally great microfoam. (Here in the Bay Area in the US, that's Straus Cream-top and Clover Organic in particular.)

What seems to make the absolute biggest difference, though, is the freshness of the milk. I just scored a jug that was bottled only a couple of days ago, and the difference is just incredible. This has been the case with other jugs that were similarly fresh. The problem with this is that it's very difficult to ensure a super-fresh jug is available when I need it from my local grocery store.

So, a few questions:

1) Have other folks noticed a dramatic difference in microfoam quality based on milk freshness (i.e., a significant difference in just a matter of 3-4 days' freshness)?

2) Do third-wave cafes tend to have extremely fresh milk, and if so, is that one of the primary advantages they have on us home baristas in producing consistently excellent latte art?

3) Are there any tricks to ensuring the freshest possible milk? (I asked the grocery store and they told me there's no set schedule for delivery of the milks I prefer.)

4) Do folks have any links to studies involving milk freshness & microfoam quality? I've looked all over, but have found little that discusses freshness in detail.

Thanks in advance!

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Apparently milk does play an important role in microfoam quality!

suggest to add to this thread

In my experience freshness is very important, but some milk just does not foam well regardless of how 'fresh' it is (fresh is relative in a world where cows are at least 5 days away from us)
LMWDP #483

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

I don't think it is freshness. But, there can be huge differences, even in the same, trusted, brand. I have a jug at the moment that is totally useless. Yet, that same brand usually makes beautiful foam. This happens a few times during the year. A good jug will foam well from opening right through to the end, a week or more later (we only use the milk for coffee).

nuketopia

#4: Post by nuketopia »

The quality of milk is variable. I tend to buy milk based on freshness. The most consistent local brand I've found here is Clover, with the most expensive Clover organic generally being stocked the freshest on the shelf. Their regular label stuff is also good, but generally, I see it with shorter shelf times.

Lesser brands and store brands are a crap shoot. Some are good. The Walmart down the street from me has different Walmart branded cartons than does the Walmart near my office just 12 miles away.

Yes, all else being equal, fresher milk produces better foam.

I think if we got into the science of it, that we'd find that protein content and density of milk solids are the determinant factors.

Most of the top coffee bars around here get Strauss Dairy Barista milk. Strauss dairy products are fantastic. Unfortunately, they only sell non-homogenized (cream-top) milk in stores, not the homogenized Barista milk. Most shops using it get their milk delivered, and I'm sure it is probably quite fresh.

#5: Post by 691175002 »

I've found that milk invariably stops foaming well a few days before it goes bad, but don't have much experience with extremely fresh milk.