Microfoam - Not sure where I am going wrong

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Abecker

#1: Post by Abecker »

I have noticed my milk after foaming has foam with larger bubbles in it, but not large enough that it breaks when tapping on the counter. However when I pour the milk there doesn't seem to be a ton of foam.

I have a 12 oz pitcher which I will fill to about 1/8" below where the spout starts. I will put the tip of the wand in to start steaming, and then once the milk is getting warmer move the tip a little deeper in. I'm not sure if I need to start with less milk, but while steaming the whirlpool of milk will come pretty high up on the sides but once done there is about 3/4" of space from the top of the pitcher. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

mrjag

#2: Post by mrjag »

Abecker wrote:I have a 12 oz pitcher which I will fill to about 1/8" below where the spout starts. I will put the tip of the wand in to start steaming, and then once the milk is getting warmer move the tip a little deeper in. I'm not sure if I need to start with less milk, but while steaming the whirlpool of milk will come pretty high up on the sides but once done there is about 3/4" of space from the top of the pitcher. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.
What you described sounds like how I steam milk for my lattes. Try starting with less milk and extend the aeration time (with the tip near the top) to build volume if you are aiming for cappuccinos.

Abecker (original poster)

#3: Post by Abecker (original poster) »

mrjag wrote:What you described sounds like how I steam milk for my lattes. Try starting with less milk and extend the aeration time (with the tip near the top) to build volume if you are aiming for cappuccinos.
I am making more of a flat white. A double shot of espresso in an 8 oz cup. I'm not looking for more volume, but for a smoother microfoam.

mrjag

#4: Post by mrjag »

In that case, I would keep the milk level where it's at and adjust your timing of the two stages. Reduce the time spent near the top and increase the time with your tip submerged. The additional time submerged will help with blending those bubbles into the liquid. It's a bit of a balancing act that you will have to play around with -- you need enough bubbles to thicken the milk but also enough mixing time to blend it all together, all before the milk gets too hot and starts breaking down.

russel

#5: Post by russel »

I would suggest a simpler approach: Just focus on spinning the milk, fast and smooth. Once you have the milk spinning you can gently let air in by easing the pitcher down until you hear a bit of a hiss. Once you have enough air, just ease the pitcher up until the hiss stops, and then keep up a smooth fast spin until you feel the right temprature in your palm.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

JR_Germantown

#6: Post by JR_Germantown »

I can't say I agree with the advice so far. Maybe we're not all reading your post the same way. But if you're ending up with the pitcher almost full, you're putting too much air in.

Have you read the articles here about the basics of making microfoam? Have you watched any videos?

Jack

bluesman

#7: Post by bluesman »

russel wrote:I would suggest a simpler approach: [ease] the pitcher down until you hear a bit of a hiss. Once you have enough air, just ease the pitcher up until the hiss stops
And that's it in a nutshell. I just place the tip far enough into the milk to fully submerge all the holes, open the steam valve, then do as russel says. Lower the pitcher just enough to hear a hiss (often described as the sound of paper being torn). As air is incorporated (which is what the hissing sound indicates is happening), the level in the pitcher rises and you have to drop it the same distance to keep the tip at the right depth. You'll learn to do this automatically by listening carefully and keeping the sound going until you have enough air. This is also (conveniently) when you begin to feel warmth in the pitcher with your hand, which means it's approaching your body temp of about 100. That's when you lift the pitcher enough to submerge the tip all the way plus and stop aerating (which stops the hiss). Tip the pitcher about 30 degrees and you should see the milk rolling or swirling. Keep that up until the pitcher's almost too hot to hold comfortably (which is about 150 to 160 for most of us) and you're done on most machines with most 12 to 20 ounce pitchers.

As for how far the level rises, it depends on the shape of the pitcher. A tapered one will look fuller faster and a straight or bulbous one will not seem to fill so much. Use water in a measuring cup to see how far up each ounce takes the level in different pitchers. Different espressos take different foam density to make good art, so you have to determine how much of a rise you need for your coffee and the way you pull your shots of each. Malabar Gold has such thick crema that it needs thinner foam for art, while thinner crema does better with thicker foam.

ben8jam

#8: Post by ben8jam »

I feel like I do exactly what's described here but all I get is mostly hot milk with some foam on top.

Submerged tip, turn on steam valve, start to spin, bring pitcher down and let the pft pft pft happen for a few moments. Then it almost naturally increases the volume and the tip is submerged.

I get a very fast but controlled spin. Stop when thermometer is about 130 which levels at about 140-150F.

Try to pour and the milk is still just milk. But hot with some foam on top.

Clove whole milk filled to the level right below spout. Don't get it.

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck replying to ben8jam »

I feel your pain. I swing from "I am going to get this thing" to "it really doesn't matter". I am at the latter stage at this point
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

ben8jam

#10: Post by ben8jam »

I'm going to up my pstat and see what happens.