Microfoam - induce air and roll milk at the same time?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

On my Silvia it's next to impossible to create micrfoam on 4 oz of milk and have it consistent. About 1/4 is foam and the rest is heavy milk.

When I go to the coffee shops, it's just as bad...obviously because of skill and not the machines.

I am wondering, instead of inducing air and then rolling the milk afterwards, is it possible to roll the milk at the same time while inducing air into it? Just skip the two step process? This is a new tech I am trying.

Monsoon

#2: Post by Monsoon »

I do this routinely with my LMLM but it is s steaming monster!

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Yes, but you need a lot more steam than your machine will pump out. You can get the the rolling strong enough that it almost acts like a froth aid wand and pulls air down into the milk. It takes a lot of steam power otherwise you are best off surfing the tip just under the milk for 15-20 to work in some air then drop the tip and concentrate on getting the milk to roll which will incorporate that micro-foam into the milk.
Dave Stephens

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

What size pitcher are you using? I rarely steam milk with the Silvia, but when I do it is 4.2oz/125ml. Technically, 4oz works best with an 8oz pitcher - Motta makes one. I don't have that size myself; I use the small (350ml) Espro Toroid pitcher, which for some reason I can steam better with on the Silvia over my generic 12oz pitcher.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I start it rolling for a few seconds and then start stretching it. I have PID on mine, so can tell you the biggest problem is if you wait for thermostat to cut off, the temp drops dramatically, around 30f in total on my machine, before the element kick back on and starts it heating again. I start steaming about 10f before it cuts off so the element stays on. Maybe too much hassle, but you might try timing it for stronger steam.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

I had a Silvia a while back and the points made about using a smaller pitcher are spot on. The Torid matches better to smaller watt steaming than a straight wall pitcher. I think the canted walls helps the roll in lower steam power situations.

MNate

#7: Post by MNate replying to jwCrema »

I, too, use the Toroid pitcher when I pull out the Silvia but use a regular pitcher with my big machine. I think it helps. And really I think the end result is just as good as on my powerful steaming machine.

Advertisement
achosid

#8: Post by achosid replying to MNate »

Seconded. I only got good microfoam out of my Silvia when I switched to a Toroid.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by emradguy »

I'm going to dissent here. Back when I had my Silvia, I got pretty darn good with the smallest Motta Europa pitcher. Then, when the Toroid came out, I picked one up and played with it a while. I never really liked it and ended up giving it away to a friend...preferring my Motta Europa pitchers. But I agree, you need to stick to small volumes of milk.
LMWDP #748

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

I didn't have good luck with the Toroid and my Gaggia Factory, but the directions for the Toroid are to point the steam wand straight down and the wand on the Factory is at an angle...
-Chris

LMWDP # 272