Mazzer Super Jolly grind setting and channeling issues

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
overdose

#1: Post by overdose »

I got issues.

I'm currently using the SJ, Gaggia Carrezza, and some cinnamon roast Nicaragua. I've been using this setup for about 2 years. I'm refining my techniques but despite weighing in 16g on a scale, leveling the dose, and putting in a good tamp, I'm still getting channeling. Today it was worse. My total shot time was under 10 seconds and practically all crema. I've got the SJ dialed in as fine as it will go. If I turn the dial any more the beans stop feeding through the burrs.

Gentleman, I'm embarrassed. Help me regain my honor.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

How long are you letting the roast rest before grinding (how fresh is it)?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

overdose (original poster)

#3: Post by overdose (original poster) »

I believe about 2 weeks. The roaster is pretty obsessive and won't sell me beans that haven't cured for the allotted time.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Can you updose and grind coarser or try another coffee and see if it still occurs? It'll help narrow down the culprit.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#5: Post by overdose (original poster) »

Great advise. I can try that out. I'm really not sure what the max is for this filter basket but maybe i could squeeze 18.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

When was the last time this was worked on? Or more specifically the collar removed? This sounds like the burrs are not aligned.

My SJ never had this issue, but I bought my Major well used. It came with new burrs that were not seated properly. Everything was happy after I re-installed the burrs and reassembled.

#7: Post by overdose (original poster) »

I knew someone would suggest to rebuild it ;)

Well i don't know anything about aligning burrs but I will look it up. Should I be able to turn the dial from position 10 - 0 if they are aligned? Currently going below 4 it just stops turning.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

It's all about what's changed since it last worked really, not suggesting a rebuild.

Is the grinder clean of grounds/beans/other debris? I frequently (4x a year or so) pull the collar off and vacuum the heck out of the innards, with an appropriate amount of lube applied so the collar moves nicely on reinstall. While I doubt there is a rock involved, who knows, it's been documented to have happened on this site more than once.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

The cinnamon roast is what throws flags up for me. Very light roasts are notorious for channeling due to the lack of fines in the grind. The bean is harder than most due to the light roast and does not produce many fines. If it has worked with that exact blend fine then suddenly started to channel you may want to inquire from the roaster if they recently changed crops or the supplying farm. When all the equipment is removed, the only thing remaining is the coffee. If a different blend/roast works good but this cinnamon roast does not, you have your smoking gun.
Dave Stephens

#10: Post by overdose (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

This makes a lot of sense. Are you saying, however, that the roast is too light? I really don't know much about superduper light roasts. I pretty much try every light roast they put out there but haven't branched out to other roasters. I have been having channeling almost every shot no matter what, which I chalk up to the Gaggia. Only with this roast, however, was the shot so fast.