Manual Pre-Infusion Flow Profile with an E61 - Video - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Coffello

#11: Post by Coffello »

The videos in the thread are great.
I haven't received my Synchronika yet (with FCD pre-installed). I plan to calibrate the flow from the group head then find a FCD setting that will remain fixed for a time while I develop expertise on other key aspects of producing good espresso.

A further consideration is that my wife will not have any interest in flow control and will want to produce shots for her cappuccinos with the minimum of fuss. Any thoughts about the way to go in the early days?

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to Coffello »


To start with find a position on the FC knob that produces about 140-150ml in 20 seconds (7-7.5ml/sec). Just leave it there. Forget it exists until you can repeatedly pull the same shot ratio in the same time at the same grind setting (eg. 18g in/ 36g out in 30 seconds +/-2 seconds. That is going to take a while to master. Like months, if not longer.

Start out using medium roast or darker beans that are specifically roasted for pulling as espresso. The topic of longer pre-infusions really applies to light to ultra-light roast beans. Like a filter roast.

Since getting my Monolith Flat SSW grinder I find myself using the FC less and less. I can grind very fine and have shots that run in the 40-45 seconds duration without signs of over extraction even with most medium roast beans due to the minimal amount of fines

User avatar
Ypuh

#13: Post by Ypuh »

Helpful info TS! Measured my default flow rate (rotary pump) to 10.5-11 ml/s. It's not plummed in so no pre-infusion, just turn the handle completely on or off. Won't you be lacking the built-in pre-infusion when you install a FCD but just leave it open at 7-8 ml/s?

A few more hardware related questions:
- Is there any functional difference between the Profitec or Coffee-Sensor FCD's?
- Do you need to decide between the temp sensor or pressure gauge on the brew head, or can you keep using the default machine's pressure gauge with the FCD installed (and leave the temp sensor on)?
I don't want a Decent

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Rotary pumps have a higher flow rate than viberatory pumps. A flow rate of 11ml/sec is going to be VERY demanding on your puck prep and does not offer any benefits so again I'd tone it down to 7-8ml/sec and then leave it alone.

Whether or not there is stock e61 preinfusion depends on if the lower spring has been left stock or replaced. I have left the stock spring in mine so I can have the default pre-infusion all of the time. Again, there really is no practical downside to this and the downside to replacing it is you can no longer have preinfusion without activily using the FC.

Ther is no difference between flow control kits that I can see. Same in that there is no difference in what you can do with the Profitec vs a Bianca.

The flow control kit comes with a VERY USEFUL group mounted pressure gauge that is highly responsive, unlike the one on the machine that does not measure pressure right at the group/coffee. Unless you are using a heat exchange machine instead of a dual boiler there is no reason to have a temperature gauge right on the group head.

If you want to accurately set the brew temp with the PID there is an offset control you can adjust and a flash boil method you can use to judge it. Here is a link to a thread I did on it:

Profitec Pro 600 Owner Experience

User avatar
Ypuh

#15: Post by Ypuh »

Thanks again for the helpful info.
PIXIllate wrote:The flow control kit comes with a VERY USEFUL group mounted pressure gauge that is highly responsive, unlike the one on the machine that does not measure pressure right at the group/coffee. Unless you are using a heat exchange machine instead of a dual boiler there is no reason to have a temperature gauge right on the group head.

If you want to accurately set the brew temp with the PID there is an offset control you can adjust and a flash boil method you can use to judge it. Here is a link to a thread I did on it:

Profitec Pro 600 Owner Experience
Indeed I have a HX machine with temp sensor. The Rocket Evo R however is rock solid in the temperature department. No need for flushing and temperature surfing (like EricS's manual states for this particular machine). I barely use the temp sensor, just to check if the machine has warmed up and once in a while after changing the PID temp a few degrees if a bean is too sour/bitter.

In that case I might decide to purchase a flow control device and replace the temp sensor on the group head, leaving it around just to check once every month or so.
I don't want a Decent

Pressino

#16: Post by Pressino »

Ypuh wrote: Indeed I have a HX machine with temp sensor. The Rocket Evo R however is rock solid in the temperature department. No need for flushing and temperature surfing (like EricS's manual states for this particular machine). I barely use the temp sensor, just to check if the machine has warmed up and once in a while after changing the PID temp a few degrees if a bean is too sour/bitter.
What would be real nice is having a dual pressure/temperature gauge to mount on the "nose" of the E61. Anyone know if there is one that will fit?

Here's one type, but won't fit: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-01216 ... gJkLPD_BwE

Probably there's one that would fit or be easily adaptable.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:What would be real nice is having a dual pressure/temperature gauge to mount on the "nose" of the E61. Anyone know if there is one that will fit?
Not sure I see the point on a dual boiler. Once you have calibrated the brew boiler offset the temperature display on the PID is dead on. Or as dead on as an e61 is going to be. On a HX I can see that both would be essential. I believe there are some clunky Y splitters for the threaded hole on the e61 group.

Here is one sold by the SEP guys:

https://www.naked-portafilter.com/produ ... -profiler/

HedonisticBeans

#18: Post by HedonisticBeans »

Excellent
Thanks for sharing