Making your own blend from bottom of the bag coffees?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Technobuyer

#1: Post by Technobuyer »

Today I was nearing the bottom of the bag of a local blend I really like, and I also had about the same qty of Lean Hammer. I like them both for different reasons, and as they were both nearing the bottom of their bags, I just mixed them together for a Cortado.

Man, I really liked it, I should have done that sooner! Had notes of both, and was quite tasty!

Anybody else just make their own blend of leftovers? What's been a favorite? I didn't really adjust the grind, just went for it. 18.2 g in. 26g out, 30 secs was the end result, so in the ballpark? Shot purists are probably scowling, but It was going in a cortado anyway. :D

mrjag

#2: Post by mrjag »

Funny you mention this. I measure out my single-dose servings into little jars, ~19g per jar. Any leftover beans that arent enough to fill a jar get dumped in bag in the freezer to eventually be used as a super blend of all my favorites. I have around 1 lb saved up so far and will probably crack it open and work my way through it soon. I honestly have no idea what to expect other than a really generic flavor profile. I'm glad yours turned out well -- I'll keep my fingers crossed that my goes the same way.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I've heard this called "tails blends" since it's the tail end of one coffee and the first part of the next coffee into your grinder. I've done this all the time, but never with much intention or attention to detail to be able to make the same blend again.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272