Lubricant for lever pistons

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
coffee cat

#1: Post by coffee cat »

Can anybody tell me if this lube is good for lever pistons? I know Saeco uses it for their brew chambers
Thx

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

I use Dow Corning Molykote 111. According to the Safety Data Sheet, it meets NSF 51 for food equipment materials, NSF 61 for drinking water system components, and FDA 21 CFR 175.300 for food contact.

According to the Safety Data Sheet for Haynes Lubri-Film, it meets NSF H1 for incidental food contact.

Rocky

HoldTheOnions

#3: Post by HoldTheOnions »

The data sheet says the melting point is 200f, so I would say it's not good for this application. Get the molykote 111, big tube cheap and last a really long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Moly ... 002WDU1J8/

coffee cat (original poster)

#4: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

Perfect, thank you, guys.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Sideshow

#6: Post by Sideshow »

I use Dow Corning Molykote 111. I got this little container the diameter of a silver dollar and something like an inch high for like $2 on amazon. I just put a dab on a clean toothpick to apply. It works great and will last me forever.

The only thing to look out for is that I don't think that all of it will necessarily come out with the chemical cleaning. I'll use a gentle cloth to clean the cam shaft and the pins, and I always get a few small spots of some black stuff to come off. My guess is that the lube stores some of the buildup, and the chemical backflush doesn't clean it all out. But it's easy to wipe off, so it adds only a few seconds to my chemical backflush/lubrication routine.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

coffee cat wrote:Can anybody tell me if this lube is good for lever pistons? I know Saeco uses it for their brew chambers
No, the Hayne's Lubri-Film is a petroleum based lube & shouldn't be used on rubber seals. Save it for grinder threads, ect & use a food safe silicone based lube (Molykote 111) on the piston seals.
LMWDP 267

bettysnephew

#8: Post by bettysnephew »

While working in the industrial food industry we used a product called Petrol Gel on o rings and seals which was rated for food contact, I seem to recall it was usable to 200 degrees F but may be mistaken. It is an excellent product with no taste and slippery as all get out.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Petro-Gel operating temp range is 0*-185*F. A little low for espresso machine use. The Molykote 111 range is -40*C - 200*C.
LMWDP 267

bobpaule

#10: Post by bobpaule »

Avoid the molybdenium disulfide free version which is clear in a green tube with white lettering, some are still floating around.

Make sure you get the Dow Molykote 111.
Never get between a man and his ristretto, ever!