Looking for help with channeling on ECM Synchronika / Ceado E37S

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CappuccinoTime

#1: Post by CappuccinoTime »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the home espresso game and I'm looking for some help with dialing in / channeling issues using my bottomless portafilter. I'm working with an ECM Synchronika, Ceado E37S, Bravo tamper & distributor, yogurt cup funnel, and cake tester for WDT. All of the equipment is new and less than 2 months old. The coffee I'm using is George Howell Alchemy Espresso Blend. I think I need to grind coarser, but the shots start to spurt/spray and taste sour when I do so. Please let me know if you have any tips!

Tzuyu

#2: Post by Tzuyu »

If you like dark roast, try to adjust the temperature from Pid to the right temperature and you can Also try longer pre infusion by lifting up the lever until you see first drop of espresso then fully engage pump to start ramp up, and you got to make sure portafilter Basket is leveled, try not to use the scale to Distribute And tamp and don't be afraid of tamping hard,that's what bravo tools Are for.

Tony C.

#3: Post by Tony C. »

You're lucky to start off with such a great machine. I started with an ECM Mechanika IV with vibration pump and worked my way up to the Synchronika. Not to worry about this dilemma, it happens often. The root of the problem is the machine has a powerful rotary pump which tests even the most seasoned baristas. There are two solutions and I've tried them both. The easiest is to continue to work on your distribution, tamping And pre infusion if you have line pressure along with many of the suggestions in the previous response. In addition don't stir the grinds so quickly. That just fluffs up the grinds excessively. Also work on a stable surface as mentioned. After you've stirred the grinds a bit slower tap the portafilter a bit on the counter or rubber mat. That also helps with channeling by settling the grinds. Lower the temperature for such a dark roast. That will also help.

The second and more preferred solution in my opinion is to purchase the flow control kit and install it yourself. I can help if need be. I've done this and it's a huge improvement. You can control the flow and tame the power of the rotary pump. You can also play around with flow once you get more experience and bring out different flavor notes in the same coffee. Your coffee experience will improve dramatically.

PS I'm jealous. I've been trying to buy that distributor and tamper from Whole Latte Love but they don't ship to Germany.

GreavesManchu

#4: Post by GreavesManchu »

I had the same problems. I use a E37S and Profitec Pro 600. First, please don't prep on your scale. It a precision instrument. I WDT with a DIY three prong stirrer. My puck prep is:
1)GRIND MY DOSE. If I need to add more and the basket is a little full, I give a gentle tap-tap on the end of the PF handle and finish adjusting to dose weight.
2)WDT If I haven't already done the tap-tap I do so now, then a gentle stirring with the WDT. My E37S provides beautiful fluffy grounds, so I'm looking more for pre-leveling, and achieving a more uniform density in the basket. I stir gently enough that I don't need to use a yogurt cup.
3)TAP PORTAFILTER Following WDT, I give the PF two gentle taps on a suitable surface. I don't consider a rubber/silicone pad suitable because it causes the PF to bounce a small bit. I've found a piece of leather cut from a weight lifting belt is perfect.
4)LEVEL &TAMP I use an Asso the Jack to level, then a light tamp, just enough to barely compress the puck. For the tamp I use the tamper that came with my machine; I found it fits my basket a little tighter than my Reg Barber.

That's what works for me. I get 87.3% few bad extraction using this work flow. Just kidding, I just know my shots are way more consistent and have far fewer channeling problems.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Plinyyounger »

Profitec 700, I level (with a generic previously but now a saint Anthony's) then tamp, no channeling issues. Eureka grinder which I love now, not so much initially. I try not to over think things, level and a firm tamp with fresh coffee.
Family, coffee and fun.