Long shot time ristretto

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Milligan »

I typically start the morning with a full city Italian-style roast that I've worked on over the last few months. I usually go for 15.5g in to 15-20g out depending on the drink at 191F in roughly 25-32s. I'm used to getting the chocolate, spice, hint of dark fruit, creamy texture, and low acidity that I shoot for. However, today I accidentally left my grinder on a very fine setting (10 on the Niche) and put the coffee through it. I ended up with 15.5g in and 16g out in 50s. The shot was nice and even but very slow with the mouse tail forming around the 35s mark.

Pleasantly, the shot was sweeter and nuttier than normal. The length of time did nothing to upset the balance of the drink but brought out some new flavors.

So, I'm curious if long shot time ristrettos are a thing that I've not been aware of or if it is just a particular trait of this coffee. Where do you guys typically find your ristrettos tasting the best and how do you find that they change with shot time, all else being held constant?

BodieZoffa

#2: Post by BodieZoffa »

Been dialing in for insanely restricted/drawn out extractions for quite some time myself... really like most where I don't have the 1st drop until at least 20 seconds and run some up to the 70 second point with maybe 3/4 oz all said/done. Literally like melted honey/butter and often simply superb. Of course some coffees just don't fare well with that treatment, but some really shine at times. Once I switch to a heavier duty vibe pump I plan to push extractions beyond 75 seconds just to see what materializes.

GDM528

#3: Post by GDM528 »

I spend way too much time prepping a shot, for it to be over in a measly 25 seconds - that's just wrong.

I speculate the technique is a bit like a blooming espresso, but without a full pause on the extraction during the bloom. I've found this approach to be virtually immune to ultra-fine grind settings. I've also found this works particularly well for dark-roast (full city) ristrettos, and longer pulls as the roast gets lighter - but no two taste buds are alike, YMMV. I think the key is to screw up occasionally to discover ways out of the box.

Kaffee Bitte

#4: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Whenever I find a berry and chocolate coffee I head right for a long slow ristretto. Lately I have been blooming and then refill.

Hologram from Counter Culture has been pulling in this style all week for me. It hits the descriptors on the nose as ristrettos
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

philosli

#5: Post by philosli »

I have observed something very similar on my lever machine: super long extraction (50-80 seconds) of a tasty restrito, on medium-dark Napoli style roast (Caffe Burbone Blu and Saka). Completely contrary to what I have been taught before.
LMWDP #741

mgw

#6: Post by mgw »

Wow I'll have to give this a go. I've always assumed if I cross over the 30ish second mark I'll end up with a bitter shot.

cmin

#7: Post by cmin »

I've always pulled ristrettos past 30 seconds even if darker (some were a lil better closer to the 30-35 range). Like 40+ minimum in general, even longer if preinfusion or profiling. I have Percs Perc Up blend right now which is an excellent fuit bomb. I've pulled other ratios but today I dialed in way tighter at 18g and did 2 bar alfor like 30 seconds as drips started and ramped up to finish about 20g. Was amazing, and fruit punched through milk. That's a great blend, I think it's only a seasonal offering though so not sure how long it'll be around. I have some frozen and may buy more to freeze lol. I should try it on V60 Switch.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:Whenever I find a berry and chocolate coffee I head right for a long slow ristretto.
Yes, I agree with this and others. Stonefruits, too. As a rule of thumb I do this with medium-ish roast coffees (like, Hologram, Alchemy). Longer pre infusion/extraction rounds out the fruits and makes a more harmonious cup, imho. Lighter coffees more often reward longer ratios. Darker coffees will appreciate little to no PI, shorter extraction times/coarser grind.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Kaffee Bitte

#9: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Agreed. If the description mentions fruits and chocolates it's ristretto time. Especially medium roasts for me, darker is difficult to keep the fruits Infront of the good bitters. I feel they get backgrounded too much after second crack.

And plus one on the fruits despite milk. I enjoy them for that reason above all. It lets the silky bitter of the chocolate coil with the fruits to just pop!
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

jmc999

#10: Post by jmc999 »

I've noticed that I tend to prefer this style of espresso for medium roasts. I'm wondering if this partially explains why my nomad shots tend to be tastier than my 9bar Bambino shots - the long time that it takes for the first drops of coffee to come out result in some of that harsh initial acidity being rounded out.