Long shot time ristretto - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mathof

#21: Post by mathof »

Marcelnl wrote:isn't the grind finer pull longer not the (Napolitan?) italian Ristretto method?
Is that true? I've never ordered a ristretto in Naples but the regular shots do not seem particularly short. The barista would have to use a separately dialled-in grinder to dial-in a longer pull. Do they do that?

Marcelnl

#22: Post by Marcelnl replying to mathof »

I had some 'Caffé' in Naples a few times some 15 years ago, in the bar hidden deep inside a monstrous hospital (the design of the 30-ies, think fascism), the barista probably started using the lever when it was new and he was young as both were vintage....grind setting? No clue, all I saw was that the doppio ristretto took almost a minute from pre-infusion till the end and the bottom of the regular ANSA cup was just wet...drops of the gods, no doubt with a regular Italian roast.

As the dose typically is 14g in Italy the grind size almost sure must have been quite fine
LMWDP #483

mathof

#23: Post by mathof »

Perhaps Ryan (IamOiman) might chip in? Some years ago he posted here about taking a professional barista course in the Naples area. He'll know, if anyone, what goes on in Neapolitan coffee bars.

Marcelnl

#24: Post by Marcelnl replying to mathof »

indeed @IamOiman
LMWDP #483

IamOiman
Team HB

#25: Post by IamOiman »

my course focused mostly on regular espresso, which is still around 25ml for a single shot. I ordered ristrettos very, very sparingly (only a few times ever), and I was basically given a thimble worth of espresso in the end each time. I think they just overdosed the single pf each time but I don't remember. The normal espresso I usually drank was already pretty small in volume compared to a lot of cafes I've seen in the US.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

mathof

#26: Post by mathof replying to IamOiman »

Thanks for that, Ryan. I never thought of simply up-dosing a double basket in a single-spout pf. A slower, denser shot with no need to change grind setting.

sympa

#27: Post by sympa »

This barista in Naples is pulling 55 sec ristrettos.

LucaFg

#28: Post by LucaFg »

Imho it's called espresso because you brew it in short time at high pressure. 50s is not properly espresso. Time of espresso should stay in the 20-30s range. Obviously feel free to do whatever you want. My long shot time ristretto is 15g in, 20-25g out, in 20-30s.

jpender

#29: Post by jpender »

Fifty seconds *is* a short time.

Jeff
Team HB

#30: Post by Jeff »

Thankfully, most of the world, including the Italians, violate the "official" standards. http://www.espressoitaliano.org/files/F ... _hq_en.pdf