Light roast espresso with the Niche Zero - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
FineGrinder (original poster)

#11: Post by FineGrinder (original poster) »

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I've noticed the temperature on the profile is quite low (in the 80's). Since it's a profile designed for high-extracting grinders (based on the description), which the Niche is not, should I increase that temperature up to something more appropriate for lighter roasts in the 90ºC+ range?

I don't have a VST basket to compare with a Decent but I do have a Pullman, which I believe has more holes than a VST? I find myself using paper filters anyway to enable a finer grind along with a more even extraction but I could try pairing that with the Pullman basket I have too.
Jeff wrote:Extractamundo Dos! came as an evolution of the ideas of many people, including Stephane Ribes and Luca (same Luca as here). Rather than being a marketing ploy, it was the result of many people trying different things with different coffees. There's a good discussion of it at https://pocketsciencecoffee.com/2022/05 ... actamundo/ (by Rohan, if you are active in the Decent Discord or DecentForum). When Ray finally convinced John to allow "limiters" (non-linear behavior near a flow/pressure goal), many of the challenges with flow-driven extraction were eased. Extractamundo Dos! basically took manual selection among a half-dozen or more parameterized profiles, all the same except for a change in, for example, peak pressure, and automated it, based on how the puck was behaving at the moment. Note that this is very different than the arguably bogus "best" or "adaptive" profiles that are promoted by JB.

When I was pulling La Cabra, Tim Wendelboe, Coffee Collective ("filter" for all), and similar on the Niche Zero, I was usually around 5-15 marks somewhere, depending on origin. I was typically dosing 17 g in a VST 18. VST baskets are notably better in the cup than DE baskets. My flow rates were typically around 2.5 g/s in the latter parts of the shot using pressure profiles based on Luca's profiles from a couple of years ago or Nu Skool v2. (I did not find v3 worked well with the Niche Zero.) My peak extraction pressures were typically in the 4-6 bar range. I would typically push the grind finer and finer until astringency hit, then back off a tiny bit. I've been using lower temperatures and declining temperature profiles for a few years now. I don't recall if Extractamundo Dos! came out before I sold my Niche Zero or not. For water, I found that 64 MPs or 98 HUs provided better results for me with high buffer (20/80 ppm GH/KH) compared to my moderate filtered tap. I don't know that higher buffer helps the Niche Zero.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

I was running the lower temperatures on the Niche Zero long before Exractamundo Dos! existed. I found running a declining temperature profile in the mid- or lower-80s benefitted my shots across a range of profiles and medium-roast and lighter coffees. Many others were experimenting and came to similar conclusions.

The Pullman baskets are also very good. The issue with the DE baskets is thought by some to be a poor choice of hole extent, resulting in uneven extraction, especially in the corner.
★ Helpful

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Milligan »

Rather timely post. I was discussing this in another thread a few days ago:
Milligan wrote: The issue with the Niche and light roast in my experience is that there is a trade off between sourness and astringency. Once sourness is dialed out then astringency takes over. There was hardly any middle ground where both are reduced to a balanced level. I found astringency to be an issue with the Niche unless dark to dark-mediums were used. Even "modern" espresso blends roasted to a medium had a tickle of astringency. It was the main reason I moved away from the Niche.
I ended up changing grinders and no longer have that issue with light roast. Niche was great for med dark and dark, good for medium, and "okay" for medium-light. Light roasts were not worth wasting through it for espresso IMO. I ended up doing pour over exclusively for light roast because they tasted much better through my SSP MP burrs on my Ode.

Decent has some videos where they use the P100 and a Niche for different dial ins. That may be worth watching to get some tips for the Niche.

#14: Post by FineGrinder (original poster) »

I gave a 15g dose a try today with the same ratio, profile, shot time, etc. and finally managed to get a more balanced result that brought out some of the tasting notes in the coffee. It was the best shot with this bean but I still think I'm not hitting the full potential of this coffee so I will probably play around with another profile but I think the Niche is probably suboptimal for the types of coffees and extractions I like.
another_jim wrote:The resistance of the puck is a product of the dose weight and grind fineness. So the lower you dose, the finer you must grind to maintain the same puck reistance. If you choke 18 grams at an 8 setting, you'll defitely choce it at a 4 setting. But if you drop to 14 grams, you will probably be in the ballpark, and get a more balanced tasting shot.

#15: Post by FineGrinder (original poster) »

That description is bang on with my experience. I've been thinking through every variable (except the grinder) to determine what the problem could be but I think I've finally concluded it's probably just the Niche. I get great results with medium-dark and upwards, which are so easy to dial in but I feel I'm wasting all my expensive light roasts trying to find this knife edge between sourness and astringency.

Which grinder/burr did you upgrade to and what would you recommend? I've tried the SSP MP's for filter and they were amazing with light roasts but I don't have any experience of them with espresso. I suspect the body might be on the thin side if the filter is anything to go by.

I've watched some of Decent's videos where they use the Niche and P100 side by side but it feels like they're overcoming the sourness problem by changing to different profiles and then tinkering with them. It's helpful to see how they think through it but not necessarily for a specific coffee I might have in front of me. I need more experience with a wider range of profiles I guess.
Milligan wrote:Rather timely post. I was discussing this in another thread a few days ago:

I ended up changing grinders and no longer have that issue with light roast. Niche was great for med dark and dark, good for medium, and "okay" for medium-light. Light roasts were not worth wasting through it for espresso IMO. I ended up doing pour over exclusively for light roast because they tasted much better through my SSP MP burrs on my Ode.

Decent has some videos where they use the P100 and a Niche for different dial ins. That may be worth watching to get some tips for the Niche.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by Milligan »

FineGrinder wrote: Which grinder/burr did you upgrade to and what would you recommend? I've tried the SSP MP's for filter and they were amazing with light roasts but I don't have any experience of them with espresso. I suspect the body might be on the thin side if the filter is anything to go by.

I've watched some of Decent's videos where they use the Niche and P100 side by side but it feels like they're overcoming the sourness problem by changing to different profiles and then tinkering with them. It's helpful to see how they think through it but not necessarily for a specific coffee I might have in front of me. I need more experience with a wider range of profiles I guess.
I enjoy conical profile and wanted to retain texture and body while giving me a wider range of roast levels to play with so I went up to the MC4 with Shurikone burrs. I'm not all-in on light roast so I didn't go with a large flat burr and lose some of the med-dark and medium range. I also didn't want a fiddly dial in that some large flat burrs give. So far I'm enjoying the additional flavors and it is even easier to dial in coffees than the Niche. I've also lost astringency. Finding the sour/bitter balance is very predictable. I was apprehensive of going up the ladder with the grinder because I've heard of diminishing returns but, to my palate, it was well worth the expense. I'm finding flavors in my roasts that I didn't know were in there which is a lot of fun to explore.

#17: Post by FineGrinder (original poster) replying to Milligan »

That's great to hear. I am mostly on the light-medium end of the spectrum and I'm generally willing to trade some body for clarity so a flat burr that fits my preferences might be a better option.

I've pledged for the Timemore 078s and I'm hoping it turns out to be a better fit for my preferences. I just hope it doesn't have any major issues like too small a range for dialling in that has been mentioned in early reviews.

bostonbuzz

#18: Post by bostonbuzz »

The first thing I would change is your brew temp. Go to the higher end of what is acceptable (over 200) and try that until you get a bitter shot and work down from there. I find that brew temp is a very important variable every time I switch from light to medium roasts, and I have struggled for a long time in the past at too low a temp.
LMWDP #353

#19: Post by FineGrinder (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

Thanks for the suggestion. I do find with medium-light to light roasts I can only get balanced espressos when I'm at/around 96ºC which I know seems pretty high but I find even 93ºC with traditional parameters of 1:2-2.5 in 30s gives me under-extracted shots.

malling

#20: Post by malling »

As already suggested several times grind as fine until astringency hit, decreasing temperature profile, lower pressure around 5-6 bars and slower flowrate at later stages.

It's not easy but it's doable.