Leveler technique - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
PeetsFan

#21: Post by PeetsFan »

yakster wrote:I haven't heard this one before.
You are welcome to tamp your coffee as many times as you want.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by yakster »

Thanks.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
blutch

#23: Post by blutch »

Bluenoser wrote:I think most now think that the older generic leveller is not as effective as using needles on a cork base. I used a leveller for a while, but I didn't find it as consistent as the cork. I haven't used the latest distributors, but if you mean the type that you can set a fixed depth and spin, they always compress the puck unevenly. I made a cork unit with 5 x 0.4mm (inkjet cleaning) needles.. I do a deep stir and then rake the top level, then tamp and I find that provides the most consistent extraction for my VST basket and my robot. There are some newer models and some don't damp after using them.. but I am not familiar with those models.. They are quite expensive.
What is meant when people say they "rake the top level." Anyone have a video of that?

B

Bluenoser

#24: Post by Bluenoser »

I put the needles only a few mm down into the top layer of coffee and use a circular pattern to distribute the top layer until even. I do a vertical tap to settle grounds. Then tamp. I use a funnel and when I remove it from the basket there is a hollow ridge around the perimeter. The top rake also fixes this.

SEMIJim

#25: Post by SEMIJim »

Bluenoser wrote:I think most now think that the older generic leveller is not as effective as using needles on a cork base. I used a leveller for a while, but I didn't find it as consistent as the cork.
This is the conclusion to which I may be coming.

First I was using the el-cheapo tamper that came with my the Bambino Plus. I was not getting consistent tamps or consistent results.

I bought a highly-rated distribution tool. This improved both the consistency of my tamps and my results.

I built my own WDT tool. Mainly just for grins. Then I started using it. "Hmmm...." better results still.

Then it occurred to me: After using the WDT tool and settling the grind by tapping, is the distribution tool even adding anything, anymore? Went back to the tamper. Got still better results.

So now I'm thinking maybe a better quality tamper and forget the distribution tool?