Lemon peel like espresso taste - user error or inherent to the coffee?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jaybelknap

#1: Post by jaybelknap »

I'm trying to diagnose user error or my flavor preferences not being found in this style of roast. I have a gaggia classic with Auber PID set to stock AUBER temps. I am using an 18g dose and get 54g in ~30sec. The grinder is a 1Z J-Max hand grinder. My preference for espresso is traditional David Schomer style espresso. That said I am interested to explore various roast levels and coffee regions.

My question is am I doing something wrong or do I need to make an adjustment (temp?) or some aspect I'm not thinking of? Once this bag of beans are gone I'll switch to a medium roast blend from a local shop. I know there blend well. One shop has an almost black peppery note. It makes decent milk drinks but the straight shots are not really what I want. Another shop I know well the blend has an citrusy note I don't care for but it's better than this coffee. The only blends that have really been enjoyable or close to what I want is black cat classic or analog from Intelligentsia.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

The tasting notes on the bag start off with "citrus" ...

It is also possible that you are not extracting enough to get balance in the cup. Finer grinds and longer ratios are common ways to extract more. You might need to go up to 1:2.5 or even 1:3. (Looks like you're already at 1:3.)

If you enjoy traditional espresso like Schomer's, you may find medium roasts lacking in what you enjoy and possessing flavors that are unfamiliar in the cup.

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

For me, pre-infusion and longer overall contact time, is my friend for these types of beans. Unless you have a modded Gaggia Classic have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pTFCGVlmQ

Another trick I use on lighter roasts to calm bright acidity/citrus notes, is to lower the brew water temp. It usually takes at least 3ºF to discern taste differences...

But, I generally avoid flavor notes leading with the word "citrus"...just not my thing.
No Espresso = Depresso

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Good tips. Also try dropping down to a 15 to 16 gram dose and grinding finer. But yeah, a washed, light roasted Ethiopian is going to be a challenge.
Jim Schulman

jaybelknap (original poster)

#5: Post by jaybelknap (original poster) »

This coffee was gifted over the holidays. Made the mistake of ordering a kilo bag of Rao's prodigal first batch just before. I think to finish up this bag I might just use it up in my Ode w/ SSP MP and just make chemex with it. I agree looking again and seeing it's a citrusy light roast. Might as well not fight for what I know isn't my preference. Maybe one day I'll understand what modern espresso is supposed to be.

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Use it for milk based drink or add some sweetener.

Or try more scientific experiment:

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

jaybelknap wrote:Might as well not fight for what I know isn't my preference.
It took me a long time to accept that there were times when my skill and equipment couldn't pull a good shot from a coffee and just move on and enjoy it as filter coffee. Now if I can't get something reasonable in a handful of shots, I don't beat myself up.