Lelit Elizabeth low brew pressure for Baratza Vario+ with steel burrs

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
shanester

#1: Post by shanester »

Noobie here

Last week my Vario + arrived. I swapped out the ceramic burrs with their steel burrs.
I have calibrated and tested the calibration (2Q) several times over the past week.
Been using the grinder for Chemex at their recommended setting 9M.

Today my Lelit Elizabeth arrived.
I validated the calibration of the Vario +
I ran several shots and the bar pressure barely moved.
I ran another test with the blind filter and got 10 bars.
I began to increase the settings on the Vario + and pulled more shots with minimal pressure increase.
I set the Vario to its finest setting, however the pressure did not go past 4 (pre-infusion).

I am at a loss of what I am doing wrong or what is not working correctly. Very frustrated. :x
Any help would be appreciated!!

scrane

#2: Post by scrane »

If you are getting 10 bar with the blind filter and only 4 bar brew pressure the likely reason is your grind is too coarse. Try putting the original burrs back in or check your calibration procedure.

shanester (original poster)

#3: Post by shanester (original poster) replying to scrane »

That is exactly what I did! I pulled my first shot. :)

bgnome

#4: Post by bgnome »

shanester wrote:Noobie here

Last week my Vario + arrived. I swapped out the ceramic burrs with their steel burrs.
I have calibrated and tested the calibration (2Q) several times over the past week.
When you say calibrating, are you aligning the burrs or just resetting the zero point? My understanding is that the Vario Steels require a very good alignment to produce the best results for espresso.