Lelit Bianca profiles diary

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kidloco

#1: Post by kidloco »

Hey, I was thinking we should have one place for exchanging our experiences and pressure profiles for different coffees we try on our Bianca's.

Feel free to jump in with suggestions but I think it should look something like this:

Coffee: (origin, farm etc)
Roast level:
Dose in:
Output:
Pressure profile during the shot:
Additional information: like baskets, grinder maybe...
Resulting cup description:

I will try to start something this afternoon, but I am just a beginner so we will see how that goes

kidloco (original poster)

#2: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Coffee: Columbia Risaralda
Roast level:medium, medium-light
Dose in:17g
Output:28g
Pressure profile during the shot: Started full pressure 10 bar with paddle slightly opened, first drops after 10s, moved back to 8 for the next 15g, then gradually moved back to 4
Additional information: IMS 12-18g, Niche
Resulting cup description: Balanced but a little bit aggressive, medium to light body

This cup made me think: how do we start with the new coffee? Should we first dial in 25-30s 1:2 shot with a fully open paddle-like standard E61 and go from there? Do we maybe compensate for the slower maximum flow and say yes but for Bianca, that shot would more be into 30-40s? Early adopters do you already have your go-to start profiles for certain origin or roast level?

I never had more questions about espresso :)

Advertisement

#3: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Wow what did just happen!

I am thinking about the previous post, and how there is so many possibilities and ways to experiment...and see at the back of my shelf jar with around 100gr of Kenya,Kiambu I bought and never managed to dial into my likings, then got another bag of coffee and forgot about it. I will say this coffee is sitting in a jar for 2 months!

Coffee: Kenya, Kiambu
Roast level: Light, maybe even filter roast
Dose in: 15g
Output: 75g
Pressure profile during the shot: started low, almost closed 0 pressure on bar, after 35 seconds raising and first drops, from that point I did not watch manometer I was just looking in cup with my hand on paddle and made sure it is driping like V60 up until 50grams 90 seconds or so, then moved paddle to more open position for the quick finish up to 75 grams in next 15 seconds
Additional information: Grinded in between filter and coarse sign on Niche!

Resulting cup description: never had this much flavor from my V60 from this coffee, and god knows I tried. It strikes me that this is 2 months old coffee i wanted to throw away! There is citrus, it is blackcurrant, there are clarity and smell, I am in awe :shock:

#4: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Well if the admin has nothing against it, I"ll just keep writing, maybe someone will find it helpful, maybe not. I will just write down things that worked at the end for some coffees:

Ethiopia, Guji - light roast

2 profiles I find interesting:

1. VST 18gr basket: 16,5 gr in 40 gr. out. 20-sec preinfusion @2bar (first drops around 15"), rump up to 8bar. Last 5gr down to 6 bar. 94C, 3 notches from the 0 (not actually physical zero just markings) on Niche Zero grinder.

Nice cup, flavors of cherries are mixed in the cup and very strong. No distinct separation of tastes, best cup so far.

2. VST 18gr basket: 17 gr in 34 gr. out in 40 seconds at constant 6 bar pressure throughout the shot and 93C, grind 3 notches coarser than the previous cup.

very light cherry in the background, nice dark chocolate after taste.

Any suggestions with this coffee are welcome.

Also, I am getting two dark roasts of Sumatra and Brazil for the test, but I think I will just go for straight classic E61 shot with them, maybe even try ristretto?

Mrboots2u

#5: Post by Mrboots2u »

kidloco wrote:Wow what did just happen!

I am thinking about the previous post, and how there is so many possibilities and ways to experiment...and see at the back of my shelf jar with around 100gr of Kenya,Kiambu I bought and never managed to dial into my likings, then got another bag of coffee and forgot about it. I will say this coffee is sitting in a jar for 2 months!

Coffee: Kenya, Kiambu
Roast level: Light, maybe even filter roast
Dose in: 15g
Output: 75g
Pressure profile during the shot: started low, almost closed 0 pressure on bar, after 35 seconds raising and first drops, from that point I did not watch manometer I was just looking in cup with my hand on paddle and made sure it is driping like V60 up until 50grams 90 seconds or so, then moved paddle to more open position for the quick finish up to 75 grams in next 15 seconds
Additional information: Grinded in between filter and coarse sign on Niche!

Resulting cup description: never had this much flavor from my V60 from this coffee, and god knows I tried. It strikes me that this is 2 months old coffee i wanted to throw away! There is citrus, it is blackcurrant, there are clarity and smell, I am in awe :shock:
Keep going , i am reading these , if not posting my own. Gave this a go today and mine came out a little bitter (I have a niche and Bianca). I think this may be a result of the roast type.
In terms of espresso recipes at the moment , I tend to use a low low so pressure ramps up to 3 bar around 20 seconds , then i use a higher flow to get a shot over by about 40 to 45 seconds on a fairly traditional 1:2 ish ratio.

SeaRizz

#6: Post by SeaRizz »

Thanks for getting this thread started!

I cut my teeth on Klatch Golden Bean, pounds and pounds of it! I pulled it basically the profile provided on the bag and made pretty good shots full of blueberry deliciousness, and milk drinks that my coffee hating wife lapped up with delight. Quite honestly, I was content with my mediocre pulls because I was convinced they were better than mediocre and they were already much better than what I could get in a shop. It wasn't until Recently when I revisited the Bianca User Experience thread that I realized people were straying way far away from the bag parameters and making fantastic coffee. I decided to really cut loose and experiment. I started with this great Ethiopia. It's a medium roast, but it challenges the momo on my grinder and I'm thinking that if I can just burn this thing up in time there'll be a Niche Zero under the tree come Christmas. One can only hope.

So the bag says:

Klatch Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe Worka natural S.O.
Blueberry/Blackberry Jam/Chocolate
20g in 36 out
24-26 Seconds
201 deg F
Medium Roast

The recipe that I started with was a grind that had me at 3 bar PI for about 7 seconds until the bottomless let loose the first drop into the cup. I kept increasing the fineness of the grind until the first drops hit the cup at around 20-25 seconds. I pulled 19g in and 57 grams out. this is about a 3:1 ratio. I experimented with differing temperature setting and found that slightly hotter at 203F allowed me to pull the same flavor profile while reducing the output to 52 grams in the cup 2.7:1, giving it an overall better and syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall, some of the best espresso that I've pulled from Bianca. I think that if I were able to, my grinder being the limiting factor, I'd try even finer grinds and perhaps reduce the grams in to 18 or even 17 and keep the same ratio for an even thicker mouth, or so I'd imagine.

Distinct Blueberry and slighty under ripe Blackberry with a sweet, more caramel like chocolateyness.
19g in 52g out
PI @3bar for 20-25 seconds apx 5g in the cup
slowly raise pressure to 9 bar until 40g in cup
Reduce pressure to 5 bar to finish 52g
203F

#7: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Interesting. I am honestly having some problems with Ethiopia Kebado light roast. All flavors I get are pretty simple, bitter/sour but nouthing of the promised red cherry, I tried 16,5 gram, all the way to the turkish grind and 25 seconds till the first drop but honestly never tried 3:1 ratio... Will try that, and will try lik Jim said way lower dose all the way to 14gr

Advertisement
Mrboots2u

#8: Post by Mrboots2u »

SeaRizz wrote:Thanks for getting this thread started!

I cut my teeth on Klatch Golden Bean, pounds and pounds of it! I pulled it basically the profile provided on the bag and made pretty good shots full of blueberry deliciousness, and milk drinks that my coffee hating wife lapped up with delight. Quite honestly, I was content with my mediocre pulls because I was convinced they were better than mediocre and they were already much better than what I could get in a shop. It wasn't until Recently when I revisited the Bianca User Experience thread that I realized people were straying way far away from the bag parameters and making fantastic coffee. I decided to really cut loose and experiment. I started with this great Ethiopia. It's a medium roast, but it challenges the momo on my grinder and I'm thinking that if I can just burn this thing up in time there'll be a Niche Zero under the tree come Christmas. One can only hope.

So the bag says:

Klatch Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe Worka natural S.O.
Blueberry/Blackberry Jam/Chocolate
20g in 36 out
24-26 Seconds
201 deg F
Medium Roast

The recipe that I started with was a grind that had me at 3 bar PI for about 7 seconds until the bottomless let loose the first drop into the cup. I kept increasing the fineness of the grind until the first drops hit the cup at around 20-25 seconds. I pulled 19g in and 57 grams out. this is about a 3:1 ratio. I experimented with differing temperature setting and found that slightly hotter at 203F allowed me to pull the same flavor profile while reducing the output to 52 grams in the cup 2.7:1, giving it an overall better and syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall, some of the best espresso that I've pulled from Bianca. I think that if I were able to, my grinder being the limiting factor, I'd try even finer grinds and perhaps reduce the grams in to 18 or even 17 and keep the same ratio for an even thicker mouth, or so I'd imagine.

Distinct Blueberry and slighty under ripe Blackberry with a sweet, more caramel like chocolateyness.
19g in 52g out
PI @3bar for 20-25 seconds apx 5g in the cup
slowly raise pressure to 9 bar until 40g in cup
Reduce pressure to 5 bar to finish 52g
203F
How long is it taking for you to reach the 3 bar presinfsuion ?

#9: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

I guess that depends on headspace, and do you start with fully open flow and than close it, or you start slowly and keep it that way...lately I start fully open and then quickly close to keep it at 3 bar...

For me I think I need to step back with next coffee and just dial in good standard E61 shot. Than and only then try to experiment with grinding finer and PI. Am I right to think that when we do that (longer PI) coffees tend to be better when pull in slightly bigger ratio? I am yet to pull espresso on Bianca within the normale ratio under 1:2 that is not too aggressive.

On the other side pulling darker roasts is pure joy now. Yesterday I got some full cream Hokkaido milk, and dark roasted Sumatra and probably made best cappuccino of my life.