Leave Portafilter In Group?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
jyl

Postby jyl » Apr 13, 2019, 1:50 am

Do you leave the portafilter in the group when not in use?

Someone told me that having the pf repeatedly cool and heat can cause them to warp.

This is a commercial machine that is "on" 18 hrs/day.

I'd been leaving the pfs on top of the machine for no particular reason. Looked tidier maybe.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Apr 13, 2019, 11:58 am

No way a portafilter should warp.
You want to keep it in in order to have it heated to pull a shot

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Apr 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Someone told me that having the pf repeatedly cool and heat can cause them to warp.

Nonsense. I've always left my portafilter in my machines. I have had six espresso machines so far, and none of the portafilters have ever warped. Like Randy, I leave them in the machine so they'll be up to temperature when I want to pull a shot.

Monsoon

Postby Monsoon » Apr 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

X3

daveR1

Postby daveR1 » Apr 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

Keep the PF in not only to keep it warm but it covers the grouphead to keep it at a proper temp. Leaving it exposed without the PF makes it harder to maintain desired temp consistently

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Apr 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

Tip: Don't take any more advice from the certain "someone" all things coffee/coffee hardware related :D
No Espresso = Depresso

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Apr 15, 2019, 3:46 pm

The only issue you will have is if you tighten your portafilter into the group as if you were pulling a shot. That can cause premature wear on the group gasket from the compression. Beyond that, the large thermal mass of the portafilter will help regulate the group head temperature. Locking in a cold/room temperature portafilter will also cause your group head temperature, even with a large E61 or saturated group, to drop like a rock. I have seen them go down almost 10 degrees simply putting in a cold portafilter.
Dave Stephens

jyl

Postby jyl » Apr 16, 2019, 7:33 am

Okay, loosely mount the PF in the group. Thanks!
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

daveR1

Postby daveR1 » Apr 16, 2019, 7:45 pm

cannonfodder wrote:The only issue you will have is if you tighten your portafilter into the group as if you were pulling a shot. That can cause premature wear on the group gasket from the compression. Beyond that, the large thermal mass of the portafilter will help regulate the group head temperature. Locking in a cold/room temperature portafilter will also cause your group head temperature, even with a large E61 or saturated group, to drop like a rock. I have seen them go down almost 10 degrees simply putting in a cold portafilter.

Exactly!