Latte art with soy milk - impossible?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BaristaMcBob

#1: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I've seen it on youtube.
I've seen it in coffee shops.
I just haven't seen it in my own kitchen.

I tried every brand. No matter what, soy milk just forms a blotchy blob. What's the secret to making an appealing latte?

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

Are u getting the barista varieties? Most of the alternatives need protein ( or something similar) added to be used for latte art.

BaristaMcBob (original poster)

#3: Post by BaristaMcBob (original poster) »

Yes, I've tried many brands. The latest was Edensoy, which has 12g protein per cup - the highest of the bunch.

SandraF

#4: Post by SandraF »

Seeing is believing. Could you post a video of your milk after it's hot? Show us your product & people with knowledge will chime in with tips. I don't attempt "art" per se.

BaristaMcBob (original poster)

#5: Post by BaristaMcBob (original poster) »

Okay, yes good idea. I'll get back to you guys with some photos. Bear in mind, though, I use the term "art" very very generically. What I mean is I can't get soy milk to form any shape whatsoever on the surface. It just forms a faint and shapeless blob. With normal milk, I am quite good. I can make rosettas, swans, and tulips. With soy milk, I can only make amoebas - barely. I'm out of soy milk at the moment, but will check back later. Thanks!

daviddecristoforo

#6: Post by daviddecristoforo »

White blobs are all I've ever been able to achieve. My whole family is lactose intolerant so we have never had milk around. I'm tempted to get some just to see if I can get a good microfoam and anything resembling "art" out of my pours. I've tried just about every variant of soy and just about every other "alternative" available with no success. It might be my lack of technique but I have no benchmark to use for comparison. I have not tried "actual" milk simply because I would just have to toss it which seems wasteful. But now my curiosity is peaked so I will try it this weekend and see what happens.
I been a woodworker for most of my life. Once there was a guy in my shop who was having me rout a decorative edge on a table he was making. He commented that I made it look so easy. After discovering that he was using a cheapo router and crappy steel bits, I let him try my Bosch machine with a good carbide bit a he was amazed at the difference. Maybe it'll be the same kind of thing with the milk. We'll see...

chipman

#7: Post by chipman »

Not only does Oat milk (barista versions) foam better than Soy, it also tastes a thousand time better. Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration.

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

BaristaMcBob wrote:What's the secret to making an appealing latte?
Taste :?:

In shop #[insert big number]:
Moi: How's the latte?
Missus: It looked great :cry:

Pickpockets distract the mark whilst fleecing him

iploya

#9: Post by iploya »

I don't like or drink soy milk, but now I want to get some just to try.

EDIT: Tried it! Frothing went well...the art pouring part, not really. For a split second it started to take shape, and just didn't hold together.

I didn't get the protein enriched kind, just whatever the wife brought home.

Bluenoser

#10: Post by Bluenoser replying to iploya »

You need the enriched (Barista) ones.. I've used about 3 different ones.. oat, soy, almond.. they are not as good as milk, but I could do tulips pretty consistently.