Latte art help - milk comes up from the sides and ruins the foam on top

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
UghLatteArt

#1: Post by UghLatteArt »

Hi all, I've been trying to get my latte art together and very often I face this issue where milk seems to come up from the sides of the cup as I pour and cause the crema/foam on top to bunch up. I've tried to get this on video:
For this pour I was more focused on trying to film it but you can clearly see it happening at 0:15. I initially tried to foam my milk more but anything more than this would just make a white blob on top of my cup. Would appreciate any feedback on what could cause this. Thanks!

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

You don't need to swirl the coffee.
Do your initial pour from higher up.
Tip the cup more.
Fill the cup more before starting the art.
Start the art further back in the cup.
Start pouring the art with the pitcher spout closer to the surface of the coffee.

Repeat and fail about 1000x, but eventually it will get there

Nickriders

#3: Post by Nickriders »

Hey Ughlatteart,
Your problem here is 100% related to your milk, it's not stretch enough. You should aim for a stretch in the jug from 1/5 to 1/4
By setting milk one finger below the spout, your should stretch to halfway in the spout or so. The jug seize will influence this but it's a rule of thumb. Once you've master your milk, then your can thinker about art,
Cheers!

slybarman

#4: Post by slybarman replying to Nickriders »

I'm wondering what you are basing that on? Consistency in the pitcher looked ok to me and he started to get contrast towards the end while pouring when he got the spout lower.

Kaffee Bitte

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

The first poster after op pretty much nailed it in my opinion.

I think a small part of the floof at the end may have been the crema was a little light in the cup. My best art usually is paired with a nice layer of crema across the whole top. It looks like the layer you had couldn't quite support the foam or incorporate. Definitely don't swirl the cup. Notice that you moved a good bit of the crema onto the sides of the cup above the coffee line.

You had nice foam to my eye. If you get the thick extra foam that doesn't move when you swirl the easiest method to make it work is to mix it between two pitchers several times and then tap on the counter a few times.

You are well in your way. All it takes is practice to refine your technique.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Nickriders

#6: Post by Nickriders »

Well let's agree to disagree,
you don't need crema to do late art, only a dark base like stale coffee, hot chocolat or matcha thea for instance.
To practice, you can also use hot water and cacao to set your base.
There are 2 opposite on the foam scale, to thin, to thic and in between. To thic will lead to a foam on top ( A la dry cappuccino) and to thin will result in the op video where there are no consistency in the form to snap on top. In can look good in the pitcher but the result in the cup doesn't lie.
The pour speed will also affect the form to do the art, to slow=thic foam on top, to fast =thin top.
What I would suggest would be to go stretch the milk to much and then thin the foam till the result taste good.
With good foam art will follow. I've train many barista over the year and many friends on their machine and once they master the the milk, the rest become easy. The op had a great pour technique, only thing missing is the milk,
OP, have your practice since your posted?

fliz

#7: Post by fliz »

what cup is that? cup shape matters too.

jdrobison

#8: Post by jdrobison »

In addition to the milk not being stretched enough, you aren't building a solid base for the art to sit on top of. You need to pour at least 50% more milk in before you start the art. But, I agree with others who say that before you even get there, you need more stretch.