Latte art fail

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Kenny86

#1: Post by Kenny86 »

Hi

I've watched some many videos. Tried so many different things. But I just can't master even doing a simple latte heart.

A start high and slow to make my base. Then come down low and pour the art but it always just loses its shape and turns into more of a blob. See attached. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks
Matt

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

Grin.. it is much more difficult than it looks. And so many factors are important. What you have is a pretty good start. You've at least got something white and round.

Maybe making a video of how you make your coffee and steam your milk might allow people to give some better quality feedback. You have lots of bubbles, so maybe the micro foam is not being incorporated properly. Making high quality micro foam requires good steam power and some technique. You need to introduce the air gently, but consistently within the first 10 seconds and then drop the wand so that you are now incorporating the air into the milk. This requires getting a good roll or vortex in the pitcher.

I used to practice foaming, quite a bit, with water and dish soap. Much cheaper!

LVD

#3: Post by LVD »

The most glaring problem judging by the pictures, is that you're pouring too slow while making the design.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Bluenoser wrote:Maybe making a video of how you make your coffee and steam your milk might allow people to give some better quality feedback. You have lots of bubbles, so maybe the micro foam is not being incorporated properly.
Agreed. Based on the photo, there's too much air being injected and it's not mixed well. That leads to the foam floating on the top from the get-go versus when the pitcher is lowered. If the OP would simply like a more attractive high-foam cappuccino, try mixing a bit more aggressively before pouring, then pouring from well above the surface and quickly dead center. You'll get a nice white "bullseye" with the crema being pushed up from below by the foam.

My latte art is terrible, but this works fairly well, even in deep to-go cups.
Dan Kehn

Kenny86

#5: Post by Kenny86 »

OK thank all this is really useful!

I'll take another look at my milk and the speed at which I pour.

I just can't seem to get those nice big round heart patterns with the milk fanning out. Is always just more a solid round white circle. And reaches a point and doesn't get any bigger.

DaveA

#6: Post by DaveA »

I'm also not getting great results but working on it. I did however manage to do a Snoopy dancing.

LVD

#7: Post by LVD »

Kenny86 wrote:OK thank all this is really useful!

I'll take another look at my milk and the speed at which I pour.

I just can't seem to get those nice big round heart patterns with the milk fanning out. Is always just more a solid round white circle. And reaches a point and doesn't get any bigger.

It does appear that those 2 things are the biggest issues. This may be old news to you, but if the milk consistency and pour speed are correct, you should get a shape like this picture. It's the design base for a heart, without the draw through at the end. See if you can achieve that first before trying other shapes.

Kenny86

#8: Post by Kenny86 »

ok so a much better attempt this morning. Worked on less air in the milk. pouring the art a bit earlier and faster.

thanks for help so far. next. jo, do it again and get one to fill the cup!

threesips
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by threesips »

If you haven't come across this video, take the time to watch it. To my eyes it's the best latte art tutorial out there by far, and I've seen them all.

belegnole

#10: Post by belegnole »

I can take a blob of metal and craft a representation of the love between two people. But so far latte art has eluded me.. lol

I stopped trying for quite some time but started again in January. A few things posted here have been of great help.

LMWDP #641