Latte art fail - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bluenoser

#11: Post by Bluenoser »

Kenny86 wrote:ok so a much better attempt this morning. Worked on less air in the milk. pouring the art a bit earlier and faster.

thanks for help so far. next. jo, do it again and get one to fill the cup!

You can always 'cheat' if you don't fill the cup.. just pick a brown background spot and pour. Start low and move high and your milk will sink, raising the level of the liquid in the cup..It will also sink any white bits from the low start height. No one will know!

BTW, huge improvement in last pic. But I've been at it for a few years and still can't get a fern right..

Kenny86 (original poster)

#12: Post by Kenny86 (original poster) »

yeah that tutorial is so good! failed again this morning mind you. switched to oat milk and think over worked the milk again. too thick.

Kenny86 (original poster)

#13: Post by Kenny86 (original poster) »

belegnole wrote:I can take a blob of metal and craft a representation of the love between two people. But so far latte art has eluded me.. lol

I stopped trying for quite some time but started again in January. A few things posted here have been of great help.

this is great. how do you get nice brown swirl type marks in the heart? mine are always solid white.

belegnole

#14: Post by belegnole replying to Kenny86 »

I wiggle the pitcher while pouring. I really can't help it. I think though I may be mistaken, that part of my problem is that I am doing things too quickly. Otherwise the swirly part would be thicker lines that I could do more with. I of course got the wiggle idea from watching a video on latte art.

Some of the shapes that are more advanced than the heart use a wiggle motion while pouring to create wings, leaves, etc. As I'm having fun whilst doing this I decided to try it one day.
LMWDP #641

Raptor

#15: Post by Raptor »

Making micro-foam for latte art is a balancing act between steam pressure (to little or to much), the number of holes in the tip (ie. 1 hole vs. 2 vs 4 ), and the the speed the milk is heated. A tip with many large holes will make great foam to fill a cup but will not make great micro-foam needed for latte art. If your machine steam pressure is low (1bar), then use a tip with fewer smaller holes to increase steam pressure for a slower more controlled frothing. If you have more steam pressure, say 1.5 bar or higher, this will require more skill to introduce the correct amount of air with a very short frothing time as the milk will heat very quickly. I recently upgraded to a Slayer which with its strong steam pressure, turned my steaming ability upside down. Go slow, keep at it..you will get there.