Latte Art Challenge[d] - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Psyd

#31: Post by Psyd »

gtrman wrote:Well, it kind of looks like a heart, which is technically an organ :wink: (....says the kid who poured a bubbly squiggle :roll: )
I refuse to be constrained by 'traditional' art concepts, and will pour 'outside of the box'. Abstract impressionist pours that would make Pollock blush, the 'Japanese Descending Koi' that would garner gushings from even the most austere asthetic kanji calligrapher, as well as post-impressionistic works that would bring Munch immediately to mind. 'Ghosts traveling through a Wall', 'Alien Visitations', 'a horsey', 'a ducky', and 'That One that looked like Bob' are amongst the non-traditional art pieces I've rendered to the public recently.
We really do need to expand our horizons, or I need to practice more...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Beezer

#32: Post by Beezer »

Lock and load!

jesawdy

#33: Post by jesawdy »

This thread has proved helpful.....

Bad - (avert your eyes, I know it's REALLY UGLY :oops: )

Better - (OMG! Leaves!... first time ever :D )
Jeff Sawdy

HB (original poster)
Admin

#34: Post by HB (original poster) »

puchang wrote:As you will see, espresso extraction was faulty and I wasn't able to make a heart on top of the rosetta as planned so I won't say that is my best try.
Your dosing and distribution looked good and the way the grind of the Macap conical "lays out" makes your job a little easier. Do you think this frame of the video is indicative of side channeling? The pour certainly beaded evenly; I would like to know how it tasted.

BTW, I've noticed you and a couple others swirl the crema before pouring. Are you trying to even it out for prettier art?
Psyd wrote:I refuse to be constrained by 'traditional' art concepts, and will pour 'outside of the box'. Abstract impressionist pours that would make Pollock blush, the 'Japanese Descending Koi' that would garner gushings from even the most austere asthetic kanji calligrapher, as well as post-impressionistic works that would bring Munch immediately to mind. 'Ghosts traveling through a Wall', 'Alien Visitations', 'a horsey', 'a ducky', and 'That One that looked like Bob' are amongst the non-traditional art pieces I've rendered to the public recently.
When I post my next video and need excuses, I'm contacting you.
Dan Kehn

RegulatorJohnson

#35: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

BTW, I've noticed you and a couple others swirl the crema before pouring. Are you trying to even it out for prettier art?
i swirl it to wet the sides of the cup and also because it seems like the surface of the crema gets dry or something, the milk punches through better hard to explain. and sometimes there are large bubbles to pop

one thing i notice from everyone else videos is that the milk seems over fluffy, maybe a bit less aggressive or less of a stretch or maybe try to understretch it might make thinner "ink" for drawing. i found i made the best insight when i messed up and understrecthed. less fluffy. more liquid.

it also looks like you guys use more milk than i normally do.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Italyhound

#36: Post by Italyhound »

OK so I wanted to play and prepared myself mentally for e-giggles since I only do macchiati which has been a pain in the neck.

The video shows that even a broken clock is right twice a day. :D My best yet - and I swore no retakes were to be done. Had I not been so excited in mid pour success I would have tried to go further but I got a little tulip thing on top - er ... I meant to do that - yeah I meant to do that.

«missing video»

Evan

DigMe

#37: Post by DigMe »

Ok, this morning I finally got this done before church. I never could get the camera set up for a bird's-eye view but I think you can still see the lameness anyway. This is into a 6oz cup:

«missing video»

I was too quick and waggy with my shaking and then I went off-center on the stem. I'm now officially not a fan of filming things in one take. :lol:

Tasted great though!

bc

HB (original poster)
Admin

#38: Post by HB (original poster) »

DigMe wrote:I was too quick and waggy with my shaking and then I went off-center on the stem.
Chris (Psyd) can help me with the interpretation perhaps? :lol: Seriously, no worries, I've had lots of pours like that. As you said, the pour seemed rushed / forced, and the foam was too airy for detail.
Dan Kehn

FredtheWhale

#39: Post by FredtheWhale »

Italyhound wrote:... since I only do macchiati which has been a pain in the neck.
Nice one.

puchang

#40: Post by puchang »

HB wrote:Your dosing and distribution looked good and the way the grind of the Macap conical "lays out" makes your job a little easier. Do you think this frame of the video is indicative of side channeling? The pour certainly beaded evenly; I would like to know how it tasted.
Hi Dan and everyone,

I feel the pour was a little bit faulty because some dropplets appeared at four corners before everything else. It seems that the pour could have been longer and slower before it blonded if those dropplets weren't there. I couldn't judge if the frame is indicative of side channeling or no because I'm not 100% sure about its definition. What do you think? As far as the taste go, I seldom drink latte so I can't tell you how it tasted from my personal experience. My friend, the cameraman, got the latte and he certainly thought it was quite tasty :D . The blend is the imitation black cat I got from CG and some better straight shots I pulled the other day were pretty good actually. I don't konw if I roasted it right but I got some earthy flavors, chocolate and muted berry notes.
HB wrote:BTW, I've noticed you and a couple others swirl the crema before pouring. Are you trying to even it out for prettier art?
I saw some professionals swirling the cap before the pour so I imitate it. Also, as Jon has pointed it out, swirling the cup can break up some crema bubbles and that leaves a better looking surface after the pour.

puchang