Latte Art Challenge[d] - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DC

#21: Post by DC »

Thanks Dan and John,

Already seeing some improvements, this thread is proving to be very useful

John - that looks like a Phoenix, very cool!
Dave

puchang

#22: Post by puchang »

Hi Dan and everyone!

Here "are" my latte art challenged. I cheated because I took two videos. Had to set up the camera on the dining table to get a nice video background so I was bending my body when pouring the milk. The cappuccino pour didn't come out as I would like it to be so I poured a latte as a second try. I hope this is ok.
puchang

HB (original poster)
Admin

#23: Post by HB (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:First try, no editing, no do-overs, etc.
Nice looking tamper, why did you move it! :lol:
puchang wrote:The cappuccino pour didn't come out as I would like it to be so I poured a latte as a second try. I hope this is ok.
The second one looked very tasty. If that's your (nearly) first try, I look forward to seeing your best try...
Dan Kehn

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#24: Post by RapidCoffee »

HB wrote:Nice looking tamper, why did you move it! :lol:
Um... a masochistic desire to display my pathetic latte art skilz to the whole friggin' universe? :roll:

IMHO, anything I pour that doesn't resemble an internal organ is a success. ("Hey, nice pour! That's your lower intestine, right?")
John

gtrman

#25: Post by gtrman »

RapidCoffee wrote:IMHO, anything I pour that doesn't resemble an internal organ is a success. ("Hey, nice pour! That's your lower intestine, right?")

Well, it kind of looks like a heart, which is technically an organ :wink: (....says the kid who poured a bubbly squiggle :roll: )
Jeff Hall

DigMe

#26: Post by DigMe »

Hey guys, help me out here! How do you mount your camera to get a bird's eye shot?! I was about to do this this morning and the only way I could come up with was sitting on top of the mazzer doser lid and kind of leaned against the cabinets. Just as I'm about to go the camera falls off, skitters across the counter and I caught it just before it fell off on the floor (try THAT with a pitcher full of milk!). I'm not going to try this while holding the camera in one hand. How do I set up my camera?!

bc

HB (original poster)
Admin

#27: Post by HB (original poster) »

I use an inexpensive Slik U-112 tripod. Most cameras accept a bolt / shoe arrangement for this purpose.
Dan Kehn

RegulatorJohnson

#28: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

i hold it in my other hand. but i usually like to tilt the cup. i have a mini tripod that i was using for the first time in my vid.. it fell off the table so i picked it up and went with the hand held like i normally do.

a zip lock bag of rice or a little bean bag or a bag of coffee beans will sometime hold the camera in a good place.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

puchang

#29: Post by puchang »

HB wrote:The second one looked very tasty. If that's your (nearly) first try, I look forward to seeing your best try...
Dan,

How about the whole process from start to finish? Some friends came over this morning so I had them taking a video for me. As you will see, espresso extraction was faulty and I wasn't able to make a heart on top of the rosetta as planned so I won't say that is my best try. I don't actually drink latte so I couldn't comment on the taste. He thinks the latte was good and smooth. This was my first pour of the day. I appreciate critical comments.
puchang

Cathi

#30: Post by Cathi »

Great footage, especially the steaming.
Cathi
LMWDP #113