Large flat burrs and fast shots - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

Seasoning the SSP red speeds takes WAY longer than 10lb, think much closer to the aforementioned 70.
LMWDP #483

zefkir

#12: Post by zefkir »

grufromtheloo wrote:Recently bought a Mazzer Major with 83mm flats, upgraded to SSP HUs. I find that only get sweetness when the shots run too fast (25s or less) and they tend to get sloppy. If I grind finer, it slows it down and cleans up the extraction but they taste over extracted. Currently using a VST 18g ridgeless. Usually dose about 17.5g in. Any advice on getting a nice extraction and in-cup experience with this grinder/burr combo? Already using a dosing cup and WDT to get the shots looking somewhat acceptable.
Could you define sloppy or cleaning up the extraction?

From my experience faster extracting burrs extract fast and well, this isn't an issue.

jasonmolinari

#13: Post by jasonmolinari »

Old thread but I noticed the same thing when I got my monolith max SLM burrs. I found it really easy to overextract coffees. I assumed it might be because given the better unimodal distribution of a huge flat allows me to grind finer without choking the machine.

drH
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by drH »

grufromtheloo wrote:Recently bought a Mazzer Major with 83mm flats, upgraded to SSP HUs. I find that only get sweetness when the shots run too fast (25s or less) and they tend to get sloppy. If I grind finer, it slows it down and cleans up the extraction but they taste over extracted. Currently using a VST 18g ridgeless. Usually dose about 17.5g in. Any advice on getting a nice extraction and in-cup experience with this grinder/burr combo? Already using a dosing cup and WDT to get the shots looking somewhat acceptable.
How differently does the Mazzer perform with stock burrs?