La Marzocco GS/3 Service in Los Angeles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

Michael Kretovics of "The L.A. Brew Techs" just left my home after a thorough service of my 5 year old GS/3 paddle machine. Unlike most espresso techs, Mike and his partner specialize in La Marzoccos and have years of experience with GS/3's. They were recommended to me by some of L.A.'s leading shops. Mike had all the GS/3 tools and parts and knew what to look for and what to do.

The service included rebuild and cleaning of the paddle system, rebuild of the steam valve, replacement of the water tap solenoid, service of the vacuum breaker and a new gicleur, shower screen and dispersion screw. All finished in less than 3 hours.

Contact info:

The LA Brew Techs
2032 Vista Del Mar Street #1
Los Angeles, CA 90068
(323) 229-0022
Thelabrewtechs@gmail.com

Marshall
Los Angeles

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

What did the service call cost?

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Marshall (original poster)

#3: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

$266 parts (all new LM parts). $300 labor. The most expensive part was the tea spout solenoid at $115.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

What symptoms were you having with the tea spout? I've not seen any posts about problems with that solenoid.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Peppersass »

Marshall wrote:$266 parts (all new LM parts). $300 labor. The most expensive part was the tea spout solenoid at $115.
$100/hour is a bit steep, but they got a lot done. I think it would have taken me closer to 6 hours to do all that. I don't know how hard it is to replace a gicleur on the MP version, but it's one of the more difficult things to do on the AV version. I've not done a rebuild on a paddle system, so I don't know how difficult that is or how long it takes. The rest of the tasks are relatively easy and don't take all that long.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I would imagine that some of that charge includes traveling time as the work was done at Marshall's house. $100 an hour labor for a repair shop in a major city is pretty much the norm these days.
LMWDP 267