La Marzocco Basket Woes - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#41: Post by cannonfodder »

Grant wrote: Confident, loud, proud, patriotic....yes. Polite...No!

Grant
When we built the first atomic device, half of the scientists thought the detonation would start an uncontrollable nuclear reaction and incinerate the planet. So we built two and dropped both. :twisted:

But in all seriousness, it depends on where you go. Some parts of the country are politer than others, as with most countries. If you ever find yourself in Dayton Ohio, I will gladly extend some good old southern hospitality.
Dave Stephens

LeoZ

#42: Post by LeoZ »

cannonfodder wrote:I do not do decaf, but I believe your observation is correct. Decaf beans (in the green) go bad faster as well. A fair amount of damage is done to the bean in the decaffeination process.
ok, thanks.
sometimes i must sacrifice these things for my late night shots..

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
another_jim
Team HB

#43: Post by another_jim »

LeoZ wrote:this sounded to me like more consistent crema. no, it isnt necessarily as much of a problem to achieve as other variables, but it certainly cant hurt to improve on it!
Consistency is a rubbery word. My favorite baskets are the Faema and Cimbali (which perform very similarly) on one hand, and the ridged LM doubles on the other. All these baskets are consistent in terms of getting the same performance shot to shot. With the LM baskets, it's easier to get an **even** colored crema from edge to center, since the flow from beginning (edge) to end (center) is more even colored and even volumed. On the other baskets, it's more common to get a a subtle shading from dark to light, edge to center, even if the temperature of the shot is steady.

Recently, I've hardly used the LM baskets. I'm roasting a lot, and pulling shots with one to three day old coffees. The LM basket are almost impossible to use on coffees this fresh; whereas the Faema basket handles these without blinking.

Part of the problem here is that the discussion is between relative newbies (I apologize if I'm misreading you) and experienced shot pullers. The differences we're mentioning won't be very apparent until your technique has become quite consistent -- something that took me several years to achieve. Nowadays, with naked PFs, it's possible to get consistent on dose, distribute and tamp a lot more rapidly; but I'm sure it will still take at least 6 months of home shot pulling to get up to speed.
Jim Schulman

LeoZ

#44: Post by LeoZ »

another_jim wrote: Part of the problem here is that the discussion is between relative newbies (I apologize if I'm misreading you) and experienced shot pullers. The differences we're mentioning won't be very apparent until your technique has become quite consistent -- something that took me several years to achieve. Nowadays, with naked PFs, it's possible to get consistent on dose, distribute and tamp a lot more rapidly; but I'm sure it will still take at least 6 months of home shot pulling to get up to speed.
not at all, although not new to coffee and making espresso, only a week old to working this HX beast. though my shots taste much better than anything ive made in the past, reading and having others critique my vids and comments leads me to believe i have a long way to go. fortunately, its a rough road with lots of testing down it. hopefully my palate develops for the better along the way!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#45: Post by cannonfodder »

Disclaimer...
I am not a professional Barista, although I think I can pull a pretty good and relatively consistent shot. So here is a series of three photos from a fresh batch of coffee (3 days post roast) from my two group rotary pump monster with a LM ridgeless basket and 17g (approximate) of coffee.

When I get home this evening, I will pop in the basket that came with my Isomac and pull a similar shot and post the photos from it for comparison.

While the start of the shot shows a small dead spot in the center, it quickly developed into a syrupy and relatively even extraction (second photo) and finished with a very nice and even colored crema (third photo). There is very little change in the color of the crema from start to finish. The cup has a nice deep tone with a berry and nut finish, low acidity and full bodied. Thick and coating mouth feel with a long lasting flavor and incredible aroma.

Edit...
If you want the blend info, check my BLOG this evening.
Dave Stephens

LeoZ

#46: Post by LeoZ »

man i need a naked pf. thats beau-ti-ful!
id love to know if im getting anything that thick, but it seems hard to tell with my spouts. are there any signs besides how it looks in the cup? mine doesnt drip like honey, but it does drip slowly..

cannonfodder
Team HB

#47: Post by cannonfodder »

Now for a double shot using the basket that came with my Isomac Millennium, same coffee, same dose, only the basket has changed.

At the beginning of the shot I have the same stutter in the center of the basket. After a couple of seconds it evened out. Second photo is mid shot, about 1oz, the flow is not quite as syrupy appearing as the LM shot at the same stage and there is more contrast in the crema. Final photo is at the end of the shot, not quite 2oz, which is my final volume. It takes a second or two to reach back up and push the button after the last snap. The crema is lighter than the LM shot.

This shot had much more earth. The Java in the blend was really jumping out as was the nutty finish from the Brazil. The Harar was very muted and the subtle berry and spice was missing. To borrow one of Chris's phrases, it did not have as much clarity as the LM basket. The deep tones overpowered the subtle Harar and PNG in the blend. The texture was still buttery but not quite as syrupy and clingy as I remember the LM basket shot. The sweetness appeared to be slightly muted as well, I found myself wanting to add a pinch of sugar.

Now can I really tell the difference between the two baskets, I 'think' so, but I may be noticing a difference because I want to notice a difference? In the end, get yourself a LM basket and try it for yourself, post you thoughts.

The photos were taken from the same camera with the same settings at the same relative distance. This set of photos has a slightly steeper angle, none of the photos are retouched other than a crop and resize for posting.
Dave Stephens

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
cannonfodder
Team HB

#48: Post by cannonfodder »

For reference, the top basket is the stock Isomac, the bottom is the ridge-less LM. They appear to be the exact same height and diameter, but the LM has a longer body before the bottom tapers in. The hole pattern is also slightly different and the LM holes are smaller.
Dave Stephens

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote: Now can I really tell the difference between the two baskets, I 'think' so, but I may be noticing a difference because I want to notice a difference? In the end, get yourself a LM basket and try it for yourself, post you thoughts.

The photos were taken from the same camera with the same settings at the same relative distance. This set of photos has a slightly steeper angle, none of the photos are retouched other than a crop and resize for posting.
Maybe its the angle, but I notice a slight difference in brightness on the background materials (the inside of the nekkid, the espresso machinery). Has the lighting changed between the to? It could be the time of day and reflections of light coming in a window, but the first shots look a shade or two darker all around.
I'm not questioning the difference between baskets, mind you, I can tell the difference in the LM ridged doubles I have, and the stock Rancilio, and the CMA baskets. You are preaching to the choir on that front.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#50: Post by cannonfodder »

I noticed that as well. It could be the difference in the angle or time of day. The first was in the morning, the last in the evening. Aside the slight difference in luminance, pay particular attention to the striping between the two. The LM basket has a much thicker and heavier striping through the entire shot.

I should have used a tripod and pulled them back to back but time did not allow. Even with the slight brightness difference, I think the striping is still evident particularly between the last photos. However, looks are only part of the equation, taste is the ultimate judgment.

A basket to basket comparison would be a very interesting topic.
Dave Stephens