Keeping steam pressure up (Profitec Pro 500 PID) - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bluenoser (original poster)

#11: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

thanks for update.. might pull out mine this week to see how it works on 4-hole.

Bluenoser (original poster)

#12: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

A dead thread, but I wanted to update on my experiences over past month or two in steaming area.

I removed my teflon tube in the steam wand. Now I don't recommend this to users without the following caveats.
1) you likely won't put it back
2) your no burn wand is now *very* hot
3) it is much harder to clean as the milk dries on the end almost instantly.. have a wet towel handy as soon as you stop steaming.

First I found that I had 'bio sludge" in my teflon tube after about 1.8 years. It was a black film. Not real thick, but I was surprised since I use good RO water with 3rd wave crystals and figured steam would kill and clean anything.. apparently not.

I put my 2-hole tip back on. I found my 4 hole was good, but I still wasn't making that paint-like consistency that I'd hoped for. And I though maybe the 4-hole was dropping the pressure too much. With the 2-hole and no tube, I found the steam was just slightly stronger.. not that noticeable. The pressure still dropped to about .7 bar when steaming; so maybe I could go back to the 4-hole. However, with the 4-hole things happen much quicker.

But, for some reason, my micro-foam is now much more consistent (with my 2-hole). Before I would get a slight ball of foam on top that wasn't incorporated, or I'd have too little foam and the milk would sink. Now, I can consistently get much better quality "paint-like" foam. Not quite as good as I think I can eventually make, but I now feel the limiting factor is my pouring technique. I am theorizing that the foam might be a little drier and the steam is definitely a tiny bit stronger. I do notice my vortex is easier to create and is stronger in the last 10 seconds of steaming and am guessing this is where my milk consistency is improving. I would say that the 2-hole tip is fine for really good micro-foam.

Remember this is just my experience or perception. I don't want to influence anyone to remove their inner tube and regret it later.. maybe not notice any difference.. 'Cause I am thinking it might not be easy to replace and line up perfectly inside the arm.

I tried to clean my tube of the bio-sludge but ended up getting stuff stuck inside and I eventually mangled it beyond recognition so I now have a permanent *burn* type wand. But I don't miss the "no-burn" feature at all.

And, the most important, my latte art is improving.. (I'd like to say that was a 'bird' on the left..instead of some random white bit)

dwightand1

#13: Post by dwightand1 »

Dave;

Just saw your picture!

Wow that is some of the best latte art I have seen on the Profitec 500 w PID!!!

I struggle with mine, but sometimes get an ok leaf. But not nearly as well defined as this one.

Thanks that gives me hope.

Much Regards,
Dwight