Just had the best espresso in a long time on a small 150ml/5oz 1 boiler machine. Here is how

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
marteccino

#1: Post by marteccino »

-Waited for thermostat to reach temp
-Released the steam briefly
-Started brewing about 5-6 seconds manual preinfusion
-10 seconds break (off brew)
-5 seconds steam briefly to gain a bit of lost temp

Machine choked while it was at preinfusion so thought it's over, however it started to drip and slowly to flow.
This flow might differ from other machines and might have something to do with the spring that only allows flow while it reaches 5bar, and even tho I am not familiar with all the physics of it, it seems while it was pressurized at preinfusion on other machines it would lose pressure due to three way valve, but this machine kept pressure on the puck and slowly found its way. Puck screen probably helped not to damage the puck itself too...

Result was velvety chocolaty taste that left me to question the world of espresso.. I thought I doubt coffee can taste better than this tbh, it was that good... It's almost like drinking 100% dark chocolate. I used to buy 99% dark lindt swiss chocolate with no sugar so know how it taste.

Tools:
Small 1 boiler $100 machine
51mm portafilter
Puck screen
14g coffee 50% Arab 50%robusta

Crema has white tail drops, but didn't taste any acidity, bitterness or harshness.