Just can't get good pour from my bottomless portafilter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mkohanoff
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkohanoff »

Hi everyone,

After owning an Ascaso Duo for over a month, I just can't get a good pour from my bottomless portafilter. I am constantly getting channeling and inconsistent shots. Ive spent hours on youtube and this forum trying to figure it out and tinkering. I am also just continuously buying more gadgets and wasting premium coffee beans trying to chase that perfect pour (just ordered my fourth tamper in a month).

Does anyone know someone in the Los Angeles California (Westwood) area that offers at-home training? Doesn't need to be a professional, just someone with more experience than I to come over and help me dial in my machine.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Philip and I covered the mechanics in Newbie Introduction to Espresso. If that doesn't help, post a video of your whole routine and what coffee you're using. It would also help if you filled out your equipment profile to include the grinder.
Dan Kehn

mkohanoff (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkohanoff (original poster) »

Just updated. Thank you!

mkohanoff (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkohanoff (original poster) »

Started with 18.5 grams and got 18.4 grams after grinding with my Niche zero
Using E&B Lab NT (NanoTech) Double Espresso Portafilter Basket 58mm Ridgeless (18)
Used a WDT then used a 58.5mm Normcore Dual Head Coffee Leveler to distribute and tamp.
Got 39 grams after 32 seconds including 5-second preinfusion
I have attached before and after photos of the portafilter as well as a video of the pull.

Any advice would be appreciated

msz

#5: Post by msz »

Could we get a video of your pressure gauge while pulling the shot? It could be as simple as needing to lower the setting on your overpressure valve and grinding a bit coarser. Based on your description, I think puck prep, grind quality, and basket quality can probably be ruled out as causes.

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

You have what looks like a prep issue. WDT with tiny needles much more carefully - you can't ever do it well enough. I'm not familiar with distribution tools/tampers.
LMWDP #353

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

Looks like the puck is getting hammered. You said you use a distribution tamper? I'd try doing the WDT and then a traditional tamp. Are you sure the shower screen is in place?