Judge my puck please

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
pineapplemonkey

#1: Post by pineapplemonkey »

I've been finding ways to improve the way my espressos taste for quite sometime, always up for trying new ways to enjoy coffee.

This puck was done with using Dark Matter's Unicorn Blood. I always weight my doses, I tried up-dosing to around 19.5 grams in a 18 gram basket and the shot was pulled short around 20 seconds @9 bar.

I've found it hard to perfect that velvet chocolatey taste as I get in their cafe but I think I'm getting close. People on here have liked to pull the shots hotter around 203-204 but when asking DM they have their machine set at 202. I am using a Alex Duetto II and Baratza Vario grinder.

By the way these look, anything I can improve on? I dose into the bin and then transfer into the portafilter making sure big clumps are broken up along the way. Usually by dosing into the bin breaks up most of these clumps.

Thanks! :D I am also going to try to upload a video of my next shot to better diagnose anything I could be doing wrong.

interseismic

#2: Post by interseismic »

Puck analyses are generally not very informative. Tasting the espresso or simply watching the extraction are far more useful.

Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

Hello bi-monthly puckology thread.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bill33525 »

Be careful when up-dosing a basket that the grounds do not contact the shower screen. That can cause uneven extraction problems. Here is a short read on the subject. http://www.baristahustle.com/for-a-good-puck/

How much liquid are you extracting? Is it the same as the cafe? Is your timing the same as the cafe? Finally, is the dose the same?
Their water mineral profile and grinder are other parameters to consider.

Hope this helps.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

I would venture to say that pucks are like bowel movements - not informative unless there is a sudden change in habits without any other obvious cause. Otherwise, don't go around posting pictures of it, worrying about it, or trying to analyze it. :roll:

Focus on how the espresso tastes.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Well, I think that she is beautiful, and can't wait for the swimsuit competition! :lol:
Scott
LMWDP #248

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

You know you are doing it right when you get them consistent like these 12 in a row:

https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

wearashirt

#8: Post by wearashirt »

Could be the super slow preinfusion on their advanced machine. Bearpond espresso is famous for this. The owner modded his machine with flow restrictors and has a ristretto-centric roasting approach.

CwD

#9: Post by CwD »

dominico wrote:You know you are doing it right when you get them consistent like these 12 in a row:

<image>
Are you sure those aren't brownies?

earlgrey_44

#10: Post by earlgrey_44 »

I deem this to be an excellent puck. It's highest and best use, aside from compost, is in the realm of Famous Restaurant Practical Jokes.

Procedure:
1) Place the intact puck on a dessert plate.
2) Decorate the plate with dollops of raspberry sauce, a mint leaf, perhaps a poof of whipped cream.
3) At closing time, surreptitiously place the plate on the counter where the wait staff pick up dishes for the customers.
4) Allow enough time for the waits/busboys to get the idea that a delicious chocolate dessert has been forgotten/abandoned and is up for grabs.
5) Wait for a victim to take the bait, and a first bite - bleah!
6) Emerge from hiding to laugh heartily and humiliate properly.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.