Jack Leveler + E37S = Channeling like crazy... Can't Win - Page 7

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#61: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Hey tmt,

The guys over at Chris coffee can order the shuffle snoot, but it's special order, comes from Ceado in Italy and was around $70. If you check it out, it has a knob that allows you to give it play up/down and tighten it to the best position, so it would def resolve your placement issue as the whole point of that attachment is to provide more precise distribution to the center of the portafilter. I started to chat with a guy on here, who had the same grinder and upgraded to the 37T, so he would know best about if the shuffle snoot will fit/help. I'll see if he can chime in on this forum. I am not really sure why they don't include one to be honest. A short one. I ended up selling the grinder today. I did love everything about the grinder minus the extraction issues.

I'd recommend the level craft or the Duomo 8 for WDT. I hear great things about both. Definitely two different price ranges.

MTN Gert

#62: Post by MTN Gert »

Hi guys and thanks for the invite for my .02$

I purchased and modified a Snoot from my Unic dealer. You cannot use the snoot on the E37s as it is too long and will fill up before the basket is full. I sliced off the end of the snoot and polished it up.

This mod resulted in less of a mowhawk than before but still not stellar channeling wise and still required WDT for a great extraction . The final straw was how often the E37s stalled on lighter roasts.

No issues to report so far on the E37T. Even with the more aggressive SSP burrs installed there is no lack of bean crushing power. I just poured in some very hard light roasted Peru beans and I will update after I test those out.

Now I never need to WDT and get consistent beautiful naked extractions without the mess. Just a quick tap down and tamp

The included titanium burrs are so good that I would have a very hard time picking my preferred shot between them and SSP burrs in a blind test. Maybe my taste buds just suck haha

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions about either grinder
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

tmtbiker

#63: Post by tmtbiker »

$70 and the snoot needs modification?! I get it, that's the price of admission for high end espresso but if that's not the perfect candidate for 3D printing I don't know what is...

I put in a preorder for the levercraft tool, should be nicer than my toothpick (which does help prevent the mohawk, actually!). Hopefully it arrives sometime in 2021, seems very popular. Maybe I'll tackle the snoot project later on this year, cost is still less than the Duomo!

Thanks very much MTN for chiming in with your experiences and photo. Congrats on the extra wattage.

ProfessorSnape

#64: Post by ProfessorSnape »

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure I'm interested in the snout. For the filter, I think I should be able to place if after dosing then do the WDT. Have you tried a shorter funnel?

Also, has anyone tried the SSP burrs for this grinder. Looks like something fun to try when I'm a little less busy.

MTN Gert

#65: Post by MTN Gert »

Just like a lot of people on here I have tried everything and concluded WDT is the only thing that works consistently. SSP burrs do clarify flavor more but the more aggressive initial cutting area will stall the grinder even easier on lighter harder roasts even with the 500w motor. SSP burrs have worked better on the E37T with its 750w motor
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

ProfessorSnape

#66: Post by ProfessorSnape »

Good to know, thanks for the update. Not sure I'm in a pinch to upgrade this at the moment, need to work on the rest of the house and my job for a while -_-

mtlaney09

#67: Post by mtlaney09 »

Thank you for posting your struggles. I'm on my first week with my new set-up (ecm synchronika and e37s) I can't believe how many of us with the 37S are having the same issues with a mohawk extraction. I'll definitely be trying WDT. I've just got to find a poor man's version to get me through the next couple of weeks.

After seeing Mark at WLL using only a Jack leveler I was trying to do the same. After 30 shots I could never get any consistency. So just started using it on the shallow setting as a true leveler.

Can't wait to try some of your techniques tomorrow but at the same time its been a pretty defeating experimentation process. I'd been going coarser on my grind little by little trying to get the edges of the puck to actually flow but then I lose my timing. Hopefully WDT solves this issue for me.

Like you, I haven't messed with flow control either. Where do you leave it at? 1 and 1/4 turns?

smithflys23
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by smithflys23 replying to mtlaney09 »

I have your exact setup. I never grind directly into the porta filter. I grind into a dosing cup, then stir the grinds a bit. I then use a dosing funnel to get the grinds into the porta filter, I WDT, then level with the Jack. The depth I use is deep enough so that it doesn't leave any marks when removed.

As far as the flow control, I use two simple settings that were recommended by WLL. For fresh coffee, I open the valve roughly 1/4 turn for 15 seconds, then 1/2 turn to finish. For older coffee, I open 1 1/4 turn for 15 seconds, then slowly start to close the valve so that it's nearly closed as the shot is finishing. Make sure you've figured out your flow rates, WLL has a video that shows you how to do this. In my case, I had to adjust the valve because it wasn't closing all the way.

I'm not an expert, but the above has been working well for me. Good luck.

hellojava

#69: Post by hellojava »

I was having issues with inconsistency and channeling with my grinder. I was single dosing with a Eureka 75e. I found that sometimes the grinder was withholding or increasing the grinds even though I was weighing my beans before grinding them.

A few tips: grind finer. Weigh your grinds again before you put them in the portafilter. Try a leveling tool.

PeetsFan

#70: Post by PeetsFan »

JP2019 wrote: By the time I dial in, I have to change something and run out of beans
Buy two bags of beans at a time, as long as you can go through it in 9 days.

If you buy the same coffee with a different roast date... it may be close but it's still different coffee and needs to be dialed in, or at least tweaked.

Also, I haven't read this whole thread, but I do better with 15-16g of coffee than with 18-20g of coffee IN.