Jack Leveler + E37S = Channeling like crazy... Can't Win - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

JP2019 wrote:...Still getting the same "bar" like extraction down the middle. Thinking to switch to a more forgiving grinder...
The "bar" extraction is a classic distribution issue. It may get better "on it's own" after 10-15 lbs are run through the grinder but all you have to do is stir the coffee before you tamp. If you want proof that it's a distribution issue, do everything as you normally would and then spin the basket 90 degrees before locking it into the group. Your bar pattern will spin with the basket. Stirring the coffee fixes this.

Another option that may work is to swing the portafilter handle from side to side while grinding. The way the grinder fills the basket will stay the same, but if the basket is a moving target, you can get a "pseudo-homogenization" just by doing this.

Leveling tools do a great job leveling, but they do little to nothing to distribute the ground coffee in your basket.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#12: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Oh yeah, use to have the Gaggia when I first joined, then moved to a JURA and then an Oracle Touch, and now I have the ECM Synchronika. Havent updated my profile yet.

JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#13: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote: Another option that may work is to swing the portafilter handle from side to side while grinding. The way the grinder fills the basket will stay the same, but if the basket is a moving target, you can get a "pseudo-homogenization" just by doing this.
Oh yeah, I saw this mentioned on another post around here, where the guy posted a video after the fact. I guess I didn't really understand it and gave it a semi try but didnt seem to help. The metal clip that holds the portafilter gets in the way and I was thinking it must only work for some devices where that clip is not there. Like the Atom 75. Going to give it a shot.

Would it be easier to get a dosing cup?

JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#14: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Posted some pictures of what I was seeing during my process and what puck looks like after Jack Leveler. You can slightly see how after extracted, it caves in the middle, which mimics what going on during the extraction.

Going to try the 90 degree basket turn and see if I get that same pattern. I was able to stop spraying during extraction but its still coming out to fast and uneven. Tried without the leveler and still getting same results, so looks like its pointing to an issue with distribution.

Another video with some improvement...

JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#15: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Just watched another video. Is it possible my grinds are too fine? 19G does not even come above the rim of the 20g basket. Maybe there is just not enough coffee? The photo of me weighing the grounds is after one hit to settle the coffee. Additionally, maybe I have the leveler to deep, causing the uneven distribution?

All, thanks again for providing feedback, learning a lot quickly.

dsblv

#16: Post by dsblv »

JP2019 wrote:...Would it be easier to get a dosing cup?
Not in my experience. I tried a dosing cup and it becomes just another source of uneven distribution of grounds. As Jeff said, keep it simple. I grind directly into the portafilter and, as has been suggested, rotate the portafilter slightly during grinding. I then put a funnel from Decent Espresso on top of the portafilter and use my wisk to break up the compacted coffee and distribute the grounds. The funnel keeps the grounds in the basket as I distribute the coffee. The Decent funnel is nice because it sits on top of the portafilter and doesn't create a gap between the coffee and the edge of the basket.

dsblv

#17: Post by dsblv »

JP2019 wrote:Just watched another video. Is it possible my grinds are too fine? 19G does not even come above the rim of the 20g basket. Maybe there is just not enough coffee? The photo of me weighing the grounds is after one hit to settle the coffee. Additionally, maybe I have the leveler to deep, causing the uneven distribution?

All, thanks again for providing feedback, learning a lot quickly.
I'd recommend ditching the leveling tool. They are more trouble than they're worth. I'd also recommend down dosing and switching to an 18g basket.

jevenator

#18: Post by jevenator »

There's nothing wrong with using a leveling tool before you tamp. I use mine just to prep a 100% flat surface level under the rim of the basket rather than one that is fluffy and right on the top.

Then I tamp. OP, you need to try doing WDT with a thin needle tool.

Back when I had my sette270wi I always had a deadspot at the 12 o'clock position that would fill in later. It's just the way it fills in the basket. The top layer of distribution means nothing if everything under isn't close to perfectly even. That's where rough random stirring but in a consistent pattern with a good tool comes in.

If I tamp this, it will be flat but come in uneven.

Sometimes I have to grind so fine that it comes out in small clumps and the stuff that's stuck in the chute the I brush down is a "brick" and no amount of tapping against my palm will help. Only a tool.

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

Note carefully in Jevenator's first photo that the grinds are already evenly distributed, uniformly fluffy, and level.

I see a stirrer with what look like very fine needles there. I'm assuming he uses it to stir, then carefully rake flat the coffee.

I do something similar, but go to the tamper from there.

JP2019 (original poster)
Supporter

#20: Post by JP2019 (original poster) »

Thank you all! I have finally achieved a better result. It was definitely distribution related. I started to twist the basket left and right during grinding as suggested, and now getting more even extraction from basket. I also now am tamping after making the Leveler more shallow. I dont have a paper clip at the moment because I'm in between moving, so I can't try the racking just yet but definitely getting closer.

<missing video>