Izzo Alex Duetto 3 dripping water from underneath

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

Ok, so I just got done saying how I have not had an issue and have been enjoying my machine for the last year in another thread. Not 8 hours later I noticed that water drips from the bottom after it cools down :roll:

Saying drips sounds minimal, after turning off the machine at the end of the day before bed and returning in the morning I find a pool of water flowing in on to the floor. It was on the majority of the day. Other then this it works fine. The pressure is where it should. It does not drip while the machine is hot.

I have opened it up and cannot pinpoint where it's coming from.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

Usually this is one of the heating element Teflon gaskets leaking, most likely the brew boiler one as the bottom shape of the brew boiler makes it especially hard to fit correctly.

I replace them for friends using a central heating pump Gasket, which is thin and flat (the EDPM type, not the red fibre one) and a thin smear of Dow 111. On the brew boiler, fixes like these have held up for more than 5 years so far, on the steam boiler, I'm not sure, but it should be OK. The heating element when using these should not be tightened too hard at all, otherwise you risk damaging these types of gasket.

desmodici

#3: Post by desmodici »

Not that I have any answers, but it may help others diagnose if you mention whether it's plumbed in and/or drained...

The "leaks" I've had underneath my Duetto were a result of a clogged drain tube but that doesn't seem to be your issue given it occurs specifically after the machine has cooled down

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#4: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

It is not plumbed in or drained.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud