Italian vs. American dosing - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
IamOiman

Postby IamOiman » Feb 13, 2019, 9:35 am

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I have a question. How much of the coffee that sits
in the doser gets actually significantly exposed to air?

As Rob said above, it depends on how busy the bar is. My bar manager friend tells me it can be anywhere from less than 15 minutes to 45 minutes sitting in the doser. Other bars may be longer or shorter. My experience with almost every bar in Italy is they use a doser grinder rather than doserless. However, my manager's bar will switch out the old coffee when it sits for a while to at least ensure some freshness. I have not noticed any significant change in taste over all the espresso I have drank there. The coffee will sit in the hopper and can become stale, but since it is in a commercial setting it usually does not affect the taste too much.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

cafederoberto

Postby cafederoberto » Feb 13, 2019, 9:51 am

It's hard to say. But that place in Modena definitely challenged my beliefs a bit about espresso and only using freshly ground coffee. I read somewhere about pre grinding fresh roasts to age them a bit before pulling shots. There may be something to that.

On the other extreme, I used to visit this Cafe in downtown Melbourne called Axil. They used Robur grinders and a Kees van der westen machine. And before making my low tide long blacks, they'd always purge 2 full portafilter baskets straight into the trash! That being said, they never served me anything less than an A+ coffee...

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Feb 13, 2019, 11:52 am

Thank you. However my question was a little different. Let me rephrase it. In addition to the fact that the coffee usually does not sit in the doser for a long time , what is the % of coffee (in the doser) that is actually in contact with the air during that small amount of time. I would assume only a small portion on top. I may be wrong of course, and that's why I am asking.
“By tradition cappuccino is made of 25ml espresso and 100ml steam-foamed milk”

cafederoberto

Postby cafederoberto » Feb 13, 2019, 1:35 pm

It's hard to say how much air can come up from the doser chute and into the coffee grounds pile from below. Likely not much. And then likely there is some air contact at the top of the grounds pile. Then what's the effect from air contact as the fresh grinds leave the burrs and make the quick journey down onto the grounds pile. Who knows.

I would hypothesize that the fresher your coffee, the more resistant is that ground coffee to degradation of flavor compounds via oxidation and other environmental effects. But I'm just a coffee snob speculating here.

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

In a busy Italian cafe, the coffee doesn't sit in the doser long.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272