Is it the grind? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Psyd

#21: Post by Psyd »

(could also be the stale beans I'm experimenting with?)
That violates so many rules* that the answer has to be yes.

*Babbie's Rule of Fifteens
Computer Wizard George Fuechsel's 'GIGO'
The 'Miscela' or 'Blend' M, of the Four Ms of Great Espresso**

**Yeah, it might be the coffee. To make great espresso, you must first have the Four M's of Great Espresso in hand. First is Miscela, or Blend, the ingredients in the coffee must be of high quality for the product to be of high quality. This includes the water, as well. Bad tasting water will result in bad tasting espresso.
Macinazione is the correct grind, which we've discussed at length here, Mano is the skill of the barista, his rituals and techniques, and finally, Macchina is the espresso machine itself. I put them in that order, as if the first one is off, the last three can't make it up. If the second is off, the last two aren't going to be easy, if you have the first three and the last one is off, it will still be difficult, but less so than if one of the earlier ones is missing.
If you can line up all those ducks, you cannot miss making great espresso. Take away one of those ingredients, however, and especially for a relative newbie, you're doomed. Like the four tires on your car, (Peugeots excepted, of course) you could still go forward if you removed one of the wheels, but it wouldn't be pretty. Take away two, and you hardly stand a chance.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

networkcrasher

#22: Post by networkcrasher »

zin1953 wrote:Probably several people's gardens, but I digress . . .

Anyone think his problems might be those Hiram Walker shot glasses :?: <image> <image>
I was gonna blame the "orange" syrup! :-)
jeremya wrote: Taste and texture has improved dramatically though still not entirely free of detractors (could also be the stale beans I'm experimenting with?). Drinkable but not amazing.
DING! Get some fresh beans, please. I know they might be a premium price wherever you locate them in Seattle, but they'll vastly speed up your learning curve as getting crema from stale beans is almost an oxymoron. Ask them what temperature they like their blend to be pulled at before leaving. Vivace has a great blend (Dolce), but it requires very precise temp control. Given your PID, you might try it, but try to find something more forgiving first.

As far as your grinding, before messing with the dosing knobs, just keep dosing until the basket is overflowing, then level it off with the back of a knife, tamp, load and pull. Keep doing the same thing, identically, and only varying the grind until you get something out of the machine you like. You'll want to check and make sure that you aren't overdosing, but this technique should get you in the ball park. If you find you are changing your grind both directions and not getting exactly where you'd like, now is the time to vary your dose. Once you've figured that part out, now you get to mess with the temp.

Advertisement
jeremya (original poster)

#23: Post by jeremya (original poster) »

Fresh beans acquired. :)

I swung through downtown Seattle and picked up some Vivace Vita and Dolce on my way home last night. Way too late to pull shots then, of course, but it's morning now... :twisted:
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

terhune281

#24: Post by terhune281 »

Hi Jeremy, It's Carl again. How are you making out with your Silvia-Mazzer combo. Have you dialed in the thick crema yet? Don't be afraid to use this website to see what others are using for espresso blends from custom roasters. I like a bargain as much (if not more so) than the next guy, but not using the best, fresh roasted beans and blend is like painting your house with cheap paint. You have spent hard earned money to be able to make the best espresso in town. The difference in cost from 8.95 a pound to 15.00 a pound for the best is pennies a cup. You are worth it! Please keep us posted on your successes and failures as it gives other freshmen like me a chance to learn from the comments from the pros on this wonderful website. By the way read Jim Schulman's tip on updosing. My 14 gram Silvia shots were weak and crema-less. Now with fat 18 gram doubles measured with an inexpensive - less than 10 dollars- internet auction scale, shots are flavorful and loaded with crema. In one sentence, more coffee, slightly coarser grind and watch what happens! Good luck. Carl