Is the first shot of the day really considered not as good? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
nixter

#21: Post by nixter »

I flush 4 or 5 ounces from my HX and purge 5g from my vario every morning yet the 2nd shot always runs a little slower and thicker.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by pizzaman383 »

I notice that the pressure of my first shot of the day builds more slowly than subsequent shots. My initial shots were consistently channeling more frequently or would go blond sooner. I've begun performing a quick back flush or two with a back flush disk before pulling my first shot. This has made the first shot more consistent with the next couple of shots.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Benjammer

#23: Post by Benjammer »

pizzaman383 wrote:I notice that the pressure of my first shot of the day builds more slowly than subsequent shots. My initial shots were consistently channeling more frequently or would go blond sooner. I've begun performing a quick back flush or two with a back flush disk before pulling my first shot. This has made the first shot more consistent with the next couple of shots.
Sounds like a better solution than dumping the first shot as some people seem to do! :)

jonny

#24: Post by jonny »

Is it possible, people's technique is just off early in the morning, having just woken up with no caffeine? It is common for a person to be less coordinated after just waking up. Just a thought.

genovese

#25: Post by genovese »

No rules here. My approach is empirical, always tasting a shot, first or not, excepting gross malfunctions like gushers or chokers. If I like it, I drink it. Normal variations, in technique and in bean choice, often lead to an outstanding first shot, if arguably at a lesser frequency, so I'd be silly to toss it by rote.

nixter

#26: Post by nixter »

jonny wrote:Is it possible, people's technique is just off early in the morning, having just woken up with no caffeine? It is common for a person to be less coordinated after just waking up. Just a thought.
In my case I doubt this seeing as the second shot often happens only 3 or 4 minutes after the first.

UltramaticOrange

#27: Post by UltramaticOrange »

The only thing I can think to add to what has already been said is this: The reason why I drink the first shot is also the reason why I avoid considering the quality of the first shot: palate shock. The first shot of the day after brushing my teeth can't really taste the same as the first shot of the day after eating a cookie.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by cafeIKE »

nixter wrote:I flush 4 or 5 ounces from my HX and purge 5g from my vario every morning yet the 2nd shot always runs a little slower and thicker.
To get the same flow on shots 1 and 2, add ~0.3 to 0.5g to the first shot. YMMV

boar_d_laze

#29: Post by boar_d_laze »

My espresso "mentor" taught me that the basket needed a little grit in the holes it to work best. Whether that's true or not I can't say. As with almost everyone else, my subsequent shots are always better than my first o' the morning.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Benjammer

#30: Post by Benjammer »

I thought I'd put in an update as to what I've found. I've been following pizzaman383's method of doing a backflush before brewing the first shot. I make cappuccinos /small lattes, but before I did notice sometimes the first shot/drink wouldn't be QUITE as good as the 2nd... but I think the backflushing method helps clean out the grouphead and heat everything up so it's improved, and the first shot CAN taste better than the 2nd sometimes.
It could be just me though.