Is aftertaste normal with espresso? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mdmvrockford

#21: Post by mdmvrockford »

jmotzi wrote: Espresso = Yes
Coffee = Yes
Wine = Yes
Whisky = Yes
Water = Never
+ infinity (not just +1)

And to original poster, Cafelat Robot and Kinu M47: you chose very wisely.
LMWDP #568

Welshdog

#22: Post by Welshdog »

jmotzi wrote:Espresso = Yes
Coffee = Yes
Wine = Yes
Whisky = Yes
Water = Never
Espresso = Only in sweetened milk beverages, we'll see if I can change that.
Coffee = No not really, but with milk and sugar okay.
Wine = Always
Whisky = Only in cocktails
Water = Sure

I have progressed from an original OE Lido and Aeropress to a Robot and Niche Zero. I have yet to taste a shot that doesn't make me think I just drank from a jar of unlabeled brown liquid found in a gardeners shed. I have seen changes in the shots as I attempt to improve the extraction, but I still can't really get past that initial sensation of drinking something humans are not meant to drink. Bitter, sour, acidic, chemical, weird, poison would all be good adjectives, but I have always used those to describe espresso regardless of who made it.

We will see if I can get something I would call enjoyable without the milk and sugar. Right now I am using a Mexican Chiapas with the Niche set to 5.5 "fine" and putting 17g in and getting 32-34 out. Fairly long pre-infusion with a press at 6 bar. I stop the shot when the light crema appears. Makes a nice latte, but straight shots cause me to feel like I'm Socrates and somebody just handed me a drink.

mathof

#23: Post by mathof »

Welshdog wrote:. Bitter, sour, acidic, chemical, weird, poison would all be good adjectives, but I have always used those to describe espresso regardless of who made it.
If you have tried espresso in well-rated coffee shops and still didn't like it, maybe it just isn't for you. Tastes vary, and there are many other ways to prepare coffee.

guijan12

#24: Post by guijan12 »

Ken5 wrote:....The other day I went to a restaurant where I was getting my favorite shots prior to getting the robot to compare to what I have been getting at home. I have to say I was really disappointed in their shot! .....

So, I am wondering if there is something that I could do to improve my shots, or if it is normal to have a slight lingering aftertaste.
That is the one disadvantage on pulling (almost) perfect shots at home. You'd better get used to it and continue improving your own technique :D

jmotzi wrote:Espresso = Yes
Coffee = Yes
Wine = Yes
Whisky = Yes
Water = Never
Fully agree here (all pure,never diluted) :idea:
Regards,

Guido

Welshdog

#25: Post by Welshdog »

mathof wrote:If you have tried espresso in well-rated coffee shops and still didn't like it, maybe it just isn't for you. Tastes vary, and there are many other ways to prepare coffee.
I find I like coffee as a flavoring in other things. I want to find out if it's possible for me to make an espresso I can actually tolerate. Of course my milk drinks will benefit greatly from this pursuit as well.

cafeIKE

#26: Post by cafeIKE »

Ken5 wrote:do you get a slightly lingering aftertaste with your good espresso shots?
always, but seldom slight
Ken5 wrote:normal to have a slight lingering aftertaste.
any shot that doesn't have a long lingering pleasant aftertaste is a failure

Just this morning I was tasting creamy caramel. Over the decades, wild cherry, dark chocolate, licorice, blueberry, cherry cola, toast, peanuts, etc. These are all pleasant tastes that develop and linger as the mouth feel dissipates.