Is aftertaste normal with espresso?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Ken5

#1: Post by Ken5 »

I understand that aftertaste could be due to an astringent shot, but do you get a slightly lingering aftertaste with your good espresso shots?

I am fairly new to making espresso, got my Robot very end of September. I have been enjoying most of my shots, nice flavors and nice texture, though usually there is a slight aftertaste that lingers on a bit. Not the same kind of aftertaste as when I make an astringent shot, more like a normal coffee taste. The other day I went to a restaurant where I was getting my favorite shots prior to getting the robot to compare to what I have been getting at home. I have to say I was really disappointed in their shot! I guess I should be happy as that probably means I might be doing something right. :) It seemed bland and very thin, actually wondered if I got coffee instead, which I didn't. I noticed there was no aftertaste and sort of really appreciated that though!

So, I am wondering if there is something that I could do to improve my shots, or if it is normal to have a slight lingering aftertaste.

Ken

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

IMHO, emphatically, yes. My best shots always have a pleasant aftertaste, and I sometimes have lingering aftertaste with my shots, which I relish. And, I share your experience with poor coffee shop shots; except to be sociable, I rarely go anymore, as the excellent ones are rare where I live.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

"Finish" is often used to describe the flavor sensations after the liquid is gone.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Yes, aftertaste often has a negative connotation. But lingering flavors, hopefully good ones, after you finish a shot is a desirable feature, at least I think so.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I've had pleasant aftertastes from nice shots that linger on for several hours. I definitely consider it a plus.
LMWDP 267

jmotzi

#6: Post by jmotzi »

Espresso = Yes
Coffee = Yes
Wine = Yes
Whisky = Yes
Water = Never
LMWDP #662

Sideshow

#7: Post by Sideshow »

Yes. The finish is one of the major components of the flavor profile of any shot (or whiskey, wine, rum, cheese, chocolate, cigar, pipe, whatever you're consuming for the flavor experience). It's something that you should be thinking about every time (if you're trying to get the most out of the experience) you drink a shot.

Ken5 (original poster)

#8: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone! I will look at the 'finish' a little differently now. Perhaps I still have things to learn as if it tasted the way some explain here I guess I never would have asked the question in the first place, or maybe it will immediately grow on me after reading these replies and accepting it as a good thing.

Ken

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

Ken5 wrote:Thanks everyone! I will look at the 'finish' a little differently now. Perhaps I still have things to learn as if it tasted the way some explain here I guess I never would have asked the question in the first place, or maybe it will immediately grow on me after reading these replies and accepting it as a good thing. Ken
One thing that none of us has touched upon is the differences between persons. My wife and I each have identical 6-ounce cappuccinos, made with 18g in, 36g out, FC roast. We both experience aftertaste, but mine lingers far longer than hers and is, I believe, more pronounced.

Ken5 (original poster)

#10: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Okay... had a few shots after my last post and I am appreciating the finish a bit more than before, though I am still on the fence as the aftertaste always seems to take on the lesser qualities of the shot. The really nice flavors of the shot never linger on.

Time will tell me if this is a normal finish, or a quality of a less than perfect shot. :(

Ken