Insane amounts of Fluffy Crema, is something wrong?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Onearmedmidget

#1: Post by Onearmedmidget »

Ok new to semi-auto espressos.

For some reason it seems I'm getting too much crema. Or is this just normal for fresh beans (Roasted Jan 19th). This is a 80-20 Arabica to robusta mix. I would say medium -dark.

Since this is my first couple weeks of doing this I believe the espresso tastes ok, different than what I'm used to but not sour and maybe with a slighly bitter tone.

Here's the results when I brew 18g in about 41g out ~29 seconds. 8.5 bar reading. 93-94 degrees Celsius.

Is this normal? Or is something off?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It's normal for 80-20 robusta mixes done to this volume. You'll probably get a denser crema and better mouthfeel if you grind it a little tighter so you get about 30 to 33 grams out in about 30 to 35 seconds. This type of blend prefers a more ristretto shot.
Jim Schulman

Onearmedmidget (original poster)

#3: Post by Onearmedmidget (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. I reduced it to 35.2g out ground finer. Pulled for about 32 seconds. Still a lot of crema but settled down nicely. May have been my best pull yet taste wise too.

Looks like things are okay. I'm not not used to seeing that much crema. Lol

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Robusta beans are known for that. Plus, fresher roast tend to produce more crema. It will get less as the beans age, just like us. :lol:

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ShotClock »

You can try to make the shots even tighter - try from 30g all the way down to 20g to see how you like it. I would drink Saka Gran Bar with around 25-27g out, which has similar Robusta content.

espressoren

#6: Post by espressoren »

Fresh beans often do that for me, especially darker ones, but most of the crema subsides in maybe 60 seconds.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

espressoren wrote:Fresh beans often do that ...
That's almost certainly the cause of the OP's prodigious crema. Letting the beans sit and "de-gas" for a few days after raosting will reduce the amountg of crema (most of which is CO2 released from the coffee during extraction) to decrease. At some point the coffee will get stale and then you will have little if any crema.

Enjoy the coffee before it gets stale, and don't worry about prodigious amounts of crema if it tastes fine.