Importance of regular backflush/cleaning - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

That is correct. After each shot you should knock out the spent puck, wipe out the portafilter, and flush some water through the group to wash off the shower screen. I will also give it a wipe with a towel to clean it more. Depending on your use, you will want to soak the portafilter and basket in a detergent to further clean the residual oils and buildup off as well as do a chemical backflush to clean the 3-way.

For more information, might I suggest reading Espresso Machine Cleaning Why, How, and When
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

nixter wrote:Should I not be rinsing out the basket with hot water after each shot?
For what it's worth, barista competitors just wipe the basket with a towel and go. I've read some posters claim that rinsing is a no-no because the basket needs "seasoning," though I'm unaware of any blind taste test demonstrating an improvement.

I use a towel; if the puck was a sloppy knockout, I'll occasionally rinse first using the water tap.
Dan Kehn

malachi

#13: Post by malachi »

I never rinse the basket between shots.
I'm not totally confident I'll be able to get the basket evenly dry if I rinse and, as the saying goes "water follows water" (ie a damp basket can lead to uneven extraction).
What's in the cup is what matters.

darrensandford

#14: Post by darrensandford »

I do rinse the basket, but I always run hot water from the group through the basket into my target cup anyway, so the basket is hot. A quick dry with a towel and the heat in the basket will ensure it's completely dry before I dose.

I also do a blind portafilter wiggle and a quick plain water backflush when I have finished pulling shots for the time being.

One thing to remember after doing a detergent backflush is to pull a seasoning shot. This will coat all the newly exposed brass with a layer of coffee oil, protecting it from acidity. Don't drink that seasoning shot - it will be a bit nasty!

DavidMLewis

#15: Post by DavidMLewis »

malachi wrote:I never rinse the basket between shots.
I'm not totally confident I'll be able to get the basket evenly dry if I rinse and, as the saying goes "water follows water" (ie a damp basket can lead to uneven extraction).
Hi Chris,

This always seemed to me another plus for the use of a naked portafilter: you can dry both sides of the filter portion of the basket, which greatly increases your chances of getting all the water. You can even hold it up to the light if you want, at which point any water is obvious.

Best,
David