Importance of level tamp

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Davidm

Postby Davidm » Aug 10, 2018, 9:09 am

Just curious on the research (was looking through the forum, but didn't find answers) on how level does a tamp need to be. Is visual good enough? Honestly I am not seeing much difference on "slightly not level" in a bottom less porterfilter or taste but was curious on other thoughts.

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Aug 10, 2018, 9:30 am

https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista ... by-tapping

If you listen to Matt Perger (second to last paragraph), he will tell you that level vs slightly not level is a huge difference. I'd like to see refractometer numbers to see the difference in EY%.

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » Aug 10, 2018, 10:56 am

liquidmetal wrote:https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista-hustle/how-to-distribute-by-tapping

If you listen to Matt Perger (second to last paragraph), he will tell you that level vs slightly not level is a huge difference. I'd like to see refractometer numbers to see the difference in EY%.

Ditto on seeing the EY%.
-Richard

lucasd

Postby lucasd » Aug 10, 2018, 1:25 pm

For light roasts I can tell you that difference is mostly on the point of over-extraction.

So for example light-roast 21% may taste over-extracted on bad tamp, whereas 23% on ideal tamp/ distribution is still good.

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » replying to lucasd » Aug 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Can you describe how un-level a tamp has to be before you notice something like that? I know that's prolly hard to quantify.
-Richard

keno

Postby keno » Aug 10, 2018, 2:49 pm

Is it really the tamp that needs to be level or the distribution?

After all if you unevenly distribute the coffee and then tamp level you are going to have some areas that are much more compressed than others which will likely lead to an uneven flow through the puck and combined over-extraction and under-extraction. Better to focus on even distribution first and foremost (eg, by filling the basket uniformly with minimal clumps and tapping to level) and then apply an even pressure to the puck.

lucasd

Postby lucasd » Aug 10, 2018, 4:49 pm

I always use WDT londinium tool, which is currently the best suited for the job. There is also Duomo.
The level tamp is next step, which is harder than it seems, unless some kind of auto leveling tamp is used.
Force of tamp need to be hard enough, for the bed to not be disturbed in preinfussion.
Light roasted coffee needs perfect every detail, with medium or darker is much easier.

For example, once I wanted to show canals and used untamped medium coffee and still got pretty decent flow.

For reference, also I'm using here VST 18g basket. Which is very eager to show you any mistakes.

lucasd

Postby lucasd » Aug 10, 2018, 4:54 pm

Prescott CR wrote:Can you describe how un-level a tamp has to be before you notice something like that? I know that's prolly hard to quantify.

It is something you see as better flow and taste in NPF.
I would say before going for expensive tamper, try WDT