IDT - technique for direct to portafilter dosing

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
godlyone

#1: Post by godlyone »

All this buzz about distribution techniques and blind shakers got me wanting to share this...

A big criticism of direct to portafilter dosing is that the grinder throws grinds more to one side and this makes the puck not uniformly dense.

WDT techniques like manual WDT/Moonraker/Etsy tool can undo some of this, but why not start with a more even bed

All it takes is removing the PF spring and spinning the basket as you grind

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It's useful when using a doser, like in the video, since dosers 1) declump when used in single dosing or on demand mode, 2) often throw the grounds to ones side (most famously the Mazzer dosers).

Not sure how useful it is for true on demand or single dosing grinders.
Jim Schulman

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

I've been grinding into a bare basket and nutating it to intentionally fill the corners of the basket evenly for several years now. It is part of my prep after finding it not only seemed to improve the visual appearance of my shots, but reduced the apparent variance. This is for medium-light and lighter.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Jeff wrote:I've been grinding into a bare basket ...
Yeah, when you use bare baskets everything becomes much easier (at least for a home barista). They are level sitting on the counter. Much easier to use with blind shakers, much easier to rotate and and fill up, etc, etc.

But given the title -- direct to portafilter -- the OP wants to suffer like a pro :wink:
Jim Schulman

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

The Niche is a super DTB grinder. See Niche Zero - direct to portafilter options?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#6: Post by RapidCoffee »

"Focus on the landing" has been rediscovered many times over the years:
Problems with dosing and distribution
John

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by TenLayers »

I took the portafilter off the Lagom quite awhile ago and hold the portafilter as low as I can while rotating it. Like a snowfall that is directed, I see no need for anymore than a tap and tamp after that.
Don't judge the pic as the result, no way I was going to set up the tripod to do the actual act of rotating.

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

TenLayers wrote:Don't judge the pic as the result, no way I was going to set up the tripod to do the actual act of rotating.
Thanks for sparing us video

coyote-1

#9: Post by coyote-1 »

Like some others, I grind into a basket. I use a funnel to help guide the grinds into the basket.

My basket is 54mm. It gives me space as I feed the beans into the auger to knock the basket from side to side, which pre-distributes (is that a thing?) the grinds. Then perhaps 20 seconds of WDT, put the basket in the handle, and pull the shot.

Btw, I tried the "grind into shaker vessel and shake around" method this weekend. No noticeable difference in the cup.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

What does the I in IDT stand for?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272