Iced coffee: To ice or not to ice...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Onesiphorus

#1: Post by Onesiphorus »

I am questing for a great cup of iced coffee for summer, but I personally do not like the taste of cold brew or long brew coffee. My current favorite techniques for brewing are the AeroPress and V60. I've don't some research for alternate brewing techniques when brewing for iced coffee, but has anyone figured out how to get cold coffee without putting ice in your drinking glass? I personally don't like the feeling of ice against my lips as I drink. Is a straw the only option? Is there a way to do this without letting it sit in the fridge for a longer period of time?

rokkuran

#2: Post by rokkuran »

James Hoffmann has an iced V60 technique video which works quite well. You brew a slightly finer grind than your usual with 60% of your normal volume of water into a decanter filled with the other 40% as ice. If you don't want ice in your cup, you could then pour into a chilled glass. He has also demoed a very similar technique for aeropress in his last aeropress video.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Stavey

#3: Post by Stavey »

I make lots of iced coffee using various techniques and equipment . I had recently been liking the April coffee recipe . Then I tried the Aeropress. What a difference. I have been using a variation of the 2019 championship recipe.
200g ice
Inverted method -
Plunger barely inserted .
34-35g very coarsely ground coffee 8L (only goes to 10)on the Forge BG
195-200g water 95c
Pour in first 10-15 seconds
Stir 10-12 times until around 30-40 seconds.
Let strep until 1:25-1:30
Press out over the 200g ice until around 1:40-1:50 sec.-careful plunger doesn't back out
For me this is the best iced coffee I've ever had. In my experience brewing this style hot or cold brings out the most in the beans.

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by rhtrevino »

I've used Counter Culture's recipe for a Japanese-style iced coffee for years now.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/learn/ ... ced-coffee

It works particularly well for fruity African coffees as I find it really accentuates the berry notes. If you can find a coffee with distinct blueberry flavor you'll be in for a real treat. Centrals also can turn out beautifully using this method if there are vibrant floral notes.

threesips
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by threesips »

And here's how Tim Wendelboe does it:

User avatar
MB

#6: Post by MB »

Some kind of slushy cup?
LMWDP #472

MNate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by MNate »

rhtrevino wrote:I've used Counter Culture's recipe for a Japanese-style iced coffee for years now.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/learn/ ... ced-coffee

It works particularly well for fruity African coffees as I find it really accentuates the berry notes. If you can find a coffee with distinct blueberry flavor you'll be in for a real treat. Centrals also can turn out beautifully using this method if there are vibrant floral notes.
I also use this general approach. Mostly with espresso. For me I basically save the beans that I over-roasted or have strong flavors I usually don't like and when immediately iced it's a great balanced taste. I add cold milk too.

If you don't like the ice, either figure it so the ice melts by the time it cools the drink or remove the remaining ice. It works pretty well.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Stavey

#8: Post by Stavey »

I enjoy Japanese style myself. That being said . The Aeropress gives me a lot more flavor and body even over ice . Then again it's also using 35g of coffee . LOL

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by rhtrevino »

threesips wrote:And here's how Tim Wendelboe does it:
video
Okay, tried this today on a lark, wine glass and all. I was chuckling the entire time because it's just so classic TW.

I used a home-roasted washed Rwandan that has some great fruitiness at the ratio of 20g to 320g water (1:16). Added 6g raw sugar. Chilled immediately and served at 38F, there was sweet tobacco on the nose and the addition of the sugar, which was about 2g too much, I got stone fruit and fig.

I think I still prefer a little ice and no added sweeteners, but really can't knock this technique and will be happy to add it to my repertoire this summer. Thanks for sharing!

Sideshow

#10: Post by Sideshow »

Get an ice tray and make coffee ice cubes. Use those instead of water ice. Then when they melt it won't get watered down. And use a straw so they don't make contact with your mouth? Interesting preference.