I've now tried it around 25 times and still cannot froth milk for latte art, any tips? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

Consider - if you haven't - adding a digital thermometer to a couple frothing sessions. If I heat the milk too much, I make cafe au lair - it's just hot milk. But if you stop too cool maybe you're missing out on some swirling time? I've never used a thermometer with milk frothing so it's just a thought.
current musing: HUKY roasting over electric heat

MB

#12: Post by MB »

I've had fast and slow machines. With fast ones a whirlpool vortex mixes in everything just fine. With a slower machine (like the BDB if I understand its speed correctly) I've had more success with a vertical roll, down one side, across the lowest portion of the tilted jug and up the other side (kind of making a wave on the top. Otherwise, I'd just get foam at the top that wasn't incorporated.
LMWDP #472

yalag (original poster)

#13: Post by yalag (original poster) » replying to MB »

I'd like to try this technique, is there a video of this on YouTube?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

If the Sunergos video doesn't do it for you, then just watch Emilee Bryant's videos on YouTube. She has six now; watch them all. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6R2iBmZ4N30ruHAhG34Kw

Good luck!

P.S. As you're in Canada, buy the cold-filtered/ultra-filtered homogenized (3.25%) milk, not pasteurized milk. It is much easier to steam with the right milk :wink:.

NicoNYC

#15: Post by NicoNYC »

Every video I watched said things like "make sure the steam wand is off center" or "place the steam wand in the spout of the jug with the jug at a slight angle", none of which really worked great for me. This was the video that really helped me get how to position the wand in all axes/angles to get a good vortex going:
LMWDP #718

MB

#16: Post by MB »

I couldn't find the original video that was the lightbulb moment for me, but i gave a more thorough explanation in this thread. Need help with rich/thick lattes
LMWDP #472

henri

#17: Post by henri »

MB wrote:I've had fast and slow machines. With fast ones a whirlpool vortex mixes in everything just fine. With a slower machine (like the BDB if I understand its speed correctly) I've had more success with a vertical roll, down one side, across the lowest portion of the tilted jug and up the other side (kind of making a wave on the top. Otherwise, I'd just get foam at the top that wasn't incorporated.
This. On my machine, too, a vertical roll works wonders, whereas following videos that encouraged a vortex got me nowhere.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Bluenoser »

spressomon wrote:Find a barista local to you that has that game down. Flip him/her $100 for one-on-one and you're golden. And you won't be wasting milk & espresso $$ anymore.

That's what I would do if I had to do it all over again.
Yeah.. I spent a solid year and hundreds of pours.. and watching at least 50 videos, using soap/water/food coloring and other tools. Takes much time because it is a very fine motor skill thing combined with lots of trial and error. After a while you start to see the unique subtleties in the milk to know when it is textured properly.. Sort of like surfers who can describe at least 10 types of wave foam.. :)

So I'd opt to be taught by someone who can really do it well and has lots of experience. This would be the most efficient way to learn.

iploya
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by iploya »

Nunas wrote:The issue with videos showing how to texture milk is that the process is vastly different from machine to machine.
The above point is so true. After I was very comfortable frothing on my BDB, I tried on a friends machine and instantly blew bubbles and splashed milk everywhere.

Based on what you describe about having foam sitting on top of milk, you may be keeping the steam wand tip at the surface and blasting it with air too long. See what happens if you just let it "psst..psst" for like 3-5 seconds to inject air, then raise the jug a bit to immerse the tip. Hold the pitcher at an angle to make the milk swirl until pitcher is hot. I think that swirling incorporates all the foam you created at the beginning so it's not all sitting on top.

BaristaMcBob

#20: Post by BaristaMcBob »

Lance Hedrick is an amazing teacher. Check out his youtube channel.